• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workwear, Americana and Raw Denim

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Hemmed Sugar Cane 1947 denim from Self Edge and 3Sixteen Mechanic shirt

20210803_150248.jpg
20210803_150353.jpg
20210803_151954.jpg

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  • Haha
Reactions: XWT

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience with stetson tencel/lyocell western shirts?

Symphony

Reaction score
Looking to get some decent midweight to heavy weight raw denim. What would you guys suggest? I’m probably going for more of a slim taper or slim straight fit. Comfort for me is king above all else, as I have big thighs.

I was looking at brands like Momotaro, 3sixteen (most sizes sold out), and Samurai.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
If you have large thighs then most slim jeans won't fit you well. At least in my experience, have like 24" thighs. Something like a relaxed taper is better for larger thighs. I have never owned those brands, but Pure Blue Japan and Studio d'Artisan both make a relaxed tapered cut.

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
Looking to get some decent midweight to heavy weight raw denim. What would you guys suggest? I’m probably going for more of a slim taper or slim straight fit. Comfort for me is king above all else, as I have big thighs.

I was looking at brands like Momotaro, 3sixteen (most sizes sold out), and Samurai.

i agree with @Luellwitz

i too have big thighs relative to my waist. i’d look into pbj’s 019 cut. Also, i would check out iron hearts 888 or 555 if youre looking for a skinnier look. i think oni’s 622ZR might also fit the bill and their 20oz is a really nice heavy while comfortable fabric.

Symphony

Reaction score
If you have large thighs then most slim jeans won't fit you well. At least in my experience, have like 24" thighs. Something like a relaxed taper is better for larger thighs. I have never owned those brands, but Pure Blue Japan and Studio d'Artisan both make a relaxed tapered cut.

slim has always been relatively decent for me especially after they stretch out. I’ll try PBJ

gardenvariety

Reaction score

Look into Glenn's Denim slouchy tapered fit. Have large thighs, they work really well for me.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
False dichotomy: lately I've been into cut-off jeans, like so:

View attachment 1650337
Raw hem is fun. I especially like a raw hem on black denim.

I also have big thighs, I might suggest more of a true straight fit, the Indigofera Kirks are dope I just got them.

if you absolutely want to stick to a taper, Oni’s high taper fit in their 20oz “Secret Denim” is great

Momotaro High Taper or Natural Taper fit in 15oz is great
Tanuki High Taper fit in 16.5 oz awesome especially in “Natural Indigo”
Warehouse Lot 900XX is awesome too

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hemmed Sugar Cane 1947 denim from Self Edge and 3Sixteen Mechanic shirt

View attachment 1648399
View attachment 1648400
View attachment 1648401

Those look great!

I've got a pair of the 1947 that I bought last year and they've just been sitting in my closet for about the past 10 months with the tags still on them. I really need to bust them out and start wearing them but I went from having 1 pair of denim to having about a dozen in a very short time.

I actually tried them on again just the other day to see if they still fit and I was surprised by just how awesome they were.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
Those look great!

I've got a pair of the 1947 that I bought last year and they've just been sitting in my closet for about the past 10 months with the tags still on them. I really need to bust them out and start wearing them but I went from having 1 pair of denim to having about a dozen in a very short time.

I actually tried them on again just the other day to see if they still fit and I was surprised by just how awesome they were.
The way that's phrased makes it sound like getting a dozen pairs of denim was just something that happened to you, with no agency on your part. (I use the same phrasing to my wife when a new garment appears in my cupboard).

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want a light weight green shirt too so I looked into that one! I’m more looking for an overshirt so I didn’t go for it but I’m happy to see you’re satisfied.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads