• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workwear, Americana and Raw Denim

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
In all honesty, I have no need for workwear. I wear scrubs all day at work and could get by with sweatpants and t-shirts at home. But for whatever reason, heavy weight button downs, denim and boots are what I feel the most comfortable in. This thread is for everyone who likes or needs workwear in some way.

Someone asked about Freenote Cloth in another thread:

Just bought these heavy weight flannels. They look awesome and the fit is pretty good, maybe a bit long in the sleeves. Kind of pricey, but they have the feeling like they will last a lifetime. I have never owned a Iron Heart flannel but I assume they are similar.
1614735095002.png

1614735136745.png

I also bought this shirt, which lighter weight and super soft.
1614735833880.png

20210222_215958.jpg
I have the first version of this jacket. Which is a beast. I had some issues with sewing on the shearling lining and the took care of it right away. From a customer service stand point they have been awesome. I had an order get delayed like 3 days and they threw in a free t-shirt.
1614736667430.png

This is my son trying it on.
20210116_171615(0).jpg

I also have a pair or two of their denim and a few more shirts which are all really nice and seem to be worth the money.

On a different note, I wanted to talk about how awesome these Taylor Stitch Camp Pants are. Perfect blend of carpenter pants mixed with chinos. Their hemp canvas blend actually seems really durable and look great after a few trips up on the roof and lots of yard work.
1614735502197.png

Chambray_1

Reaction score
Nice Freenote! I've got my eyes on some Rios jeans from them in the near future. They are really doing some great things, but they fly under the radar.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Thanks for the Freenote info! Definitely an intriguing brand to me. I have my first piece from them arriving Monday which is their 13 oz Tobacco henley. If I like what I get, I'll definitely be buying more from them.

SS20-7236.jpg

I can also second the love for TS's Camp pant. They're easily one of my favorites.

20210222_174453.jpg

Have two items coming from them over the next week or so too.

Their navy heavy bag henley because I don't like Freenotes choice in color for their blue henley and their western chambray shirt which I considered backing when it was in the workshop but decided not to at that time.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
Those heavy bag henleys from TS are really nice. I haven't purchased one from Freenote yet so I can't comment.

Chambray_1

Reaction score
I can also second the love for TS's Camp pant. They're easily one of my favorites.

View attachment 1566204

How is the rise on the camp pants? They only have the front rise measurements on the website. I emailed them about rear rise measurements, but and they never got back to me (during the holidays, so not unexpected).

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
How is the rise on the camp pants? They only have the front rise measurements on the website. I emailed them about rear rise measurements, but and they never got back to me (during the holidays, so not unexpected).

Based on an unworn pair I have, the back rise is ~15" while the front is 11".

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
The Camp pant looks a bit wide in the thigh for me (I am skinny). If you like that duck canvas then I recommend Ciano Farmer. Made to order with a variety of fabrics and a few different cuts, plus lots of customisable options. He can do pretty much anything you want. The quality and workmanship are fantastic. I have just ordered my third pair of trousers and have a pair of jeans. He's also really nice. His stuff does take a while as he makes it all by hand.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recently came across a company called Darryl Brown, which is a black-owned company run by a designer of the same name. Brown worked for a while on the railroads (I think he was an engineer?) and then somehow went from that job to styling various musicians, including Kanye. He was Kanye's personal stylist from about 2015 to 2019, I believe. Somewhere around there.

I think his line is just on the border of streetwear and workwear, but many of the pieces look like they could be easily worn in a more traditional workwear outfit. The sweatshirts, for example, have a slightly cropped, very wide silhouette (sorta Kanye-sque/ John Elliott), but they also look like they can easily play with brands such as Chimala and LVC (and indeed, LVC makes similar sweatshirts).

I like these fits, for example, and the bag is interesting to me. The zip-up work jacket seems pretty simple, but I again like how the cropped fit looks with work pants.

151065907_346199013197709_4570631751519258866_n.jpg
66916299_475646169668841_4103426530147700393_n.jpg
64945073_427852358064990_5606612632387883091_n.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 1.11.19 PM.png

I also found this other Black-owned company called Grits Co. The line is more centered on graphic tees and woven patches, less of the cut-and-sewn you see from Darryl Brown, but the pieces look cool and their IG is full of mid-century, rockabilly, motorsport workwear references. Again, feels like something you can easily wear with raw denim jeans and flannel shirts.

136359553_398741451212904_2809211695813370300_n.jpg

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
The Camp pant looks a bit wide in the thigh for me (I am skinny). If you like that duck canvas then I recommend Ciano Farmer. Made to order with a variety of fabrics and a few different cuts, plus lots of customisable options. He can do pretty much anything you want. The quality and workmanship are fantastic. I have just ordered my third pair of trousers and have a pair of jeans. He's also really nice. His stuff does take a while as he makes it all by hand.

The camp pant is definitely roomy for sure which is one of the main reasons why I love it. Its pretty good for those who work out or otherwise have large legs.

Ciano's navy duck pant looks tempting. A navy blue 5-pocket pant is exactly what I've been looking for.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I have always wanted to buy something from these guys, but have been put off by the lead times. That black chambray workshirt is looking pretty cool.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
The camp pant is definitely roomy for sure which is one of the main reasons why I love it. Its pretty good for those who work out or otherwise have large legs.

Ciano's navy duck pant looks tempting. A navy blue 5-pocket pant is exactly what I've been looking for.
Yeah the thigh room is the best. I have pretty massive thighs and these are super comfortable. I pretty much always need a relaxed fit pant.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I recently came across a company called Darryl Brown, which is a black-owned company run by a designer of the same name. Brown worked for a while on the railroads (I think he was an engineer?) and then somehow went from that job to styling various musicians, including Kanye. He was Kanye's personal stylist from about 2015 to 2019, I believe. Somewhere around there.

I think his line is just on the border of streetwear and workwear, but many of the pieces look like they could be easily worn in a more traditional workwear outfit. The sweatshirts, for example, have a slightly cropped, very wide silhouette (sorta Kanye-sque/ John Elliott), but they also look like they can easily play with brands such as Chimala and LVC (and indeed, LVC makes similar sweatshirts).

I like these fits, for example, and the bag is interesting to me. The zip-up work jacket seems pretty simple, but I again like how the cropped fit looks with work pants.

View attachment 1567449 View attachment 1567451 View attachment 1567452
View attachment 1567453

I also found this other Black-owned company called Grits Co. The line is more centered on graphic tees and woven patches, less of the cut-and-sewn you see from Darryl Brown, but the pieces look cool and their IG is full of mid-century, rockabilly, motorsport workwear references. Again, feels like something you can easily wear with raw denim jeans and flannel shirts.

View attachment 1567455
I like the vibe of both these. Thanks for posting them. I'll have to rethink my stance on graphic t's.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I have always wanted to buy something from these guys, but have been put off by the lead times. That black chambray workshirt is looking pretty cool.
I have ordered three times from him and I know now to order and forget, and when it comes it comes. My last order took about six months but my late November order is shipping imminently. I wasn’t counting on wearing them until autumn so if I get some spring wear from them then great. I love the handmade workmanship. Things like taped seams, double stitching etc. Plus customising is fun.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
I have ordered three times from him and I know now to order and forget, and when it comes it comes. My last order took about six months but my late November order is shipping imminently. I wasn’t counting on wearing them until autumn so if I get some spring wear from them then great. I love the handmade workmanship. Things like taped seams, double stitching etc. Plus customising is fun.

Do you happen to know the benefit of waistband finishing? Is there an actual practical reason for it? Have you gotten any of your done with that option?

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
SS20-5494-101_2.jpg

On the topic of Freenote these shorts they did are my favorite pair, I'm hoping they do another color run this summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads