• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workplace Romance Advice

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, i've completely fallen for someone at work.

situation:

software company in greater LA area. me - manager of professional services group. her - writer in user education. so she's in a completely different division and there would never be the chance of me being her boss.

if this was any other situation (bar, club, etc.), i'd have asked her out by now. but i am a little concerned about office politics, esp. if the feelings aren't mutual and she says 'no'.

so far it's been a lot of IM-based flirting.

damn, how the f*ck did i get myself into this?

advice on how to proceed oh love gurus of the SF?

-Jeff

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do it and stop the flirting. It doesn't matter if she is in a different dept. - you are a manager at the company and that is inappropriate.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if youre in a different department then go. i try to stay away because it would be so akward for me if **** went bad and i had to see the person all the time at work. how often do you guys see eachother? if its once a week at work etc then go, if its every day it could be akward. why dont you throw out an invite nothing serious, see what she says. something like oh im going here tonight its going to be crazy, you ever been? she says no or yes etc, then be like oh you should just come out itll be fun. n see how it goes.

Illuminate07

Reaction score
As someone who recently crash and burned with an office romance, don't do it, if it doesn't work, it can be hard to deal with the awkwardness afterwards. But it's fun for a while, trying to be all secretive, sneaking off to lunch, surprising her by buying Starbucks, food, etc. As for office politics, what kind of office do you have? Is everyone a bunch of gossiping tighwads? You'd be in trouble. I had a very supportive and casual workplace so I was lucky.

If you must, you just start it off like any other relationship, ask them out to coffee, dinner, movie, etc.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've done it a few times...hasn't bit me ********** yet, but it does get a little bit awkward. Not sure if I can say it would be a good idea either way. If you are just looking for a bit of ass, maybe it would be better to err on the side of caution. If you really like her, I'd go for it.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It makes going to work a lot more exciting, but really, don't do it, or you'll live to regret it

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should ask her to lunch and out to happy hour with a group. I wouldn't sweat that you're co-workers too much. I read somewhere that 40% of couples since 2000 met each other at work.

bc78

Reaction score
This is a really tough one. My girlfriend and I met at work so obviously I'd recommend it in certain situations. We worked in a place with about 1,000 people. We knew of plenty of co-workers who dated and my gf and I worked in separate buildings. Before I asked her out we had been writing long getting to know each other emails, so I was pretty sure that I would be interested in her as more than just someone to date for a bit.

How does this apply to you? I'd consider how large your workplace is and if you know of other people dating there. In some offices it is kosher and in some it really isn't and you probably have a feel for that. Also if you aren't sure if she's interested I'd tastefully flirt for a bit longer until you have a better grasp on the situation. And consider the worst case scenario: things go really really badly. How often would you run into her?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Touchy situation. You are lucky she doesn't work in the same group as you. However that doesn't mean much if it's a staff of 50 people (small offices and relationships gone sour is a terrible combination for all involved including your coworkers who will inevitably get sucked into your ****). If it's a bigger firm and you two already rarely interact with each other professionally, then you could go for it. Invite her out for drinks with other coworkers and flirt in person and see how things develop from there.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Tap that ass ASAP.
devil.gif

Not sure what the HR policies are for office relationships at your company, but I would say go for it. I met my current gf of 3yrs at work so I guess I am a tad biased.

Eagle

Reaction score
I will share with you a life lesson I learned in military basic training..."you should never sh*t where you eat!" It just never seems to work and you will both end up as losers in the equation.
wink.gif

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Stop the IM flirting and ask her to lunch. Be clear you're "asking her to lunch" to get any awkwardness out of the way. And have a quick check of the HR policies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads