• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workplace attire issues

cristobal

Reaction score
We've got a brilliant new intern at the firm: a straight-A student at Morehouse, great attitude, whip-smart, etc etc. He's also an attractive and well-groomed face for the clients (something my boss really gets hung up on). Trouble is, he dresses like an athlete at a draft show. Everything's in these really intense hues and colors, and everything's "coordinated." Today's color is lavender: lavender suit, sheer lavender socks (they look like nylon), lavender alligator belt, and lavender 'gators. Yikes. The boss is giving me a hard time about it (since I hired the kid), and she wants me to get the kid to come to work dressed more conservatively. I for one couldn't care less: the quality of his work is outstanding, and I think we should be happy with a kid who comes to work with everything impeccably pressed, manicured nails and all that. The suits, frightening as they are, are well-cut and would look great in normal blues, greys and blacks. He obviously spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance, and I want to tell my boss to just let it go, that we should be happy with a great hire. Question (finally&#33
wink.gif
:If she insists that I tell him to tone it down, how can I go about it diplomatically?

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Easy: "Listen kid, you do great work, but you have to tone it down. Lavender suits are not appropriate for client meetings."

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it sounds like he is smart, so i would assume he knows that he's not wearing business attire. more likely that's just the way he likes to dress and he's testing to see if he can get away with it. if you tell him to stick to gray, navy, etc... you're not going to shock him. he'll likely just think it was good while it lasted.

i really wouldn't stress about telling him. you're doing him a favor in the long run.

NYCDan

Reaction score
Tease him mercilously.
You know for some reason your avatar makes that comment much more funny to me.

vero_group

Reaction score
Wow. I guess I did kinda put up a volley there, didn't I?

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Did he show up for his interview(s) dressed like that?

I second matador's suggestion.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's color is lavender: lavender suit, sheer lavender socks (they look like nylon), lavender alligator belt, and lavender 'gators. Â
What color shirt and tie? Or is he going without? Â
cry.gif
Also, snap a picture if you can... Â
biggrin.gif

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just tell him something like "Hey dude, I want you wearing blues, greys, or black. Pinstripes optional." He probably won't take it hard at all.

Just be sure to specify the proper shade of blue for him, lest he comes in wearing something Royal Blue.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lavender?? HAHAHAHAH... Dude, if you don't tell him, sooner or later someone will let him know, most likely in a less subtle way then you intend to do. This kid needs a reality check. This ain't no Snoop Dogg video.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads