• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workout while injured

Mousse

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've had a hip injury for the last 6 months. I've been doing light squats and deadlifts (Starting Strength), but I can't do it anymore (too painful). Doctors finally found the problem and I'm getting surgery in about 2,5 months. I would like to continue to work out.

PT at the gym gave me this routine (alternate 3 days a week)

A)
Bench press 3 X 5
Barbell bench 3 X 8
Dips 3 X 8
Triceps ext. 3 X 8
Back ext. 3 X 10
Abs 3 X 10

B)
Press 3 X 5
Chin ups 3 X 8
Rows 3 X 8
Upright rows 3 X 8
Cardio

I don't have a lot of confidence in PT. At the same time, I'm somewhat lost since I can't do squats or deadlifts (or everything that requires "hip drive"). I don't like the fact that I'm not training my legs, but in the short term it isn't that big of a problem, since as a former hockey player my legs are more developed than my upper body (maybe I should add an iso movement like leg extensions???).

I would appreciate your input and critique of the routine. I am still at the beginner stage. Thank you.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to be careful with upright rows. They can cause shoulder problems. Honestly I'm not sure if a reason to do them really exists. Do military press instead.

Can you do step ups? Step ups to a low step are similar to squats in the muscles they hit. To a high step closer to deadlifts.

Can you do straight leg deadlifts?

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummm yeah. Upright rowing +Press are both hitting extensors. You need equal work for flexors and extensors to minimize injury risk. Add one arm rows. How is Barbell bench different than Bench Press anyways? They are the same exercise. Delete one, now your program is balanced

Mousse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
You need to be careful with upright rows. They can cause shoulder problems. Honestly I'm not sure if a reason to do them really exists. Do military press instead.

Can you do step ups? Step ups to a low step are similar to squats in the muscles they hit. To a high step closer to deadlifts.

Can you do straight leg deadlifts?

I think steps up will be tough, but I'll try them this afternoon. I never tried straight leg deadlifts, I'll also give it a shot.

For the upright rows, PT said it was one of the best exercise for the deltoids and trapezius areas (like I said, I don't trust PT too much, so I'll stop to do them if they're not safe). Maybe shrugs would be better?

Mousse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Ummm yeah. Upright rowing +Press are both hitting extensors. You need equal work for flexors and extensors to minimize injury risk. Add one arm rows. How is Barbell bench different than Bench Press anyways? They are the same exercise. Delete one, now your program is balanced

Ok I'll scratch upright rowing.

For the barbell and bench press, PT gave me both because of the relative weakness of my bench compared to other exercises. I don't know if that makes any sense to you.

Thank you both for your advice.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mousse
Hi guys,

PT at the gym gave me this routine (alternate 3 days a week)

A)
Bench press 3 X 5
Barbell bench 3 X 8
Dips 3 X 8
Triceps ext. 3 X 8
Back ext. 3 X 10
Abs 3 X 10

B)
Press 3 X 5
Chin ups 3 X 8
Rows 3 X 8
Upright rows 3 X 8
Cardio

I don't have a lot of confidence in PT.

Are these clinical physical therapists, or physical trainers? If they are not trained/hold-degrees-in physical therapy, IGNORE WHAT THEY SAY!

If they are physical trainers, they are often not liable for any suggestion they make, and as we are not familiar with your medical history or injury details, cannot adequately advise you on a workout either. If you want advice on a workout that won't complicate your injury, get a referral from your doctor to go see a physical therapist.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Upper body routine looks ok. W.r.t upright rows, some people swear by them. TO get bulbous shoulders, lateral raises and bent over raises have worked best for me. High reps many sets.

For legs, lunges would be the most minimal impact exercise for your hips. Do the walking variety. For hamstrings, do the natural glute ham raise. These are killer. Leg extensions and hamstring curls are also good exercises. Don't hate them machines.

privateer

Reaction score
RE: Bench press

You can keep your 2 sets. What I would recommend it doing incline bench first, and then flat bench. I would do barbell for a while and switch it up and do dumbell for a while. It is important to include dumbell to help work on your stabilizer muscles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads