• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working With Ties (casual wear)

GWHiZiTSPHiL

Reaction score
I've always been a simple person who comes to clothing (but i'm a big denim freak). Usually I'd wear the typical jeans and a tee. Layering is not in my vocabulary. The only thing I'd do close to that is putting on a jacket.

At my work I get to dress up and I love it because I get recognized by my co-workers. My ties is what I take pride in the most. I love wearing ties so much I want to wear it outside of work so this is where I need your guys' help.

What can I wear casually that combines ties and denim? The only thing that comes to my mind is a long-sleeve shirt with a tie and a vest. Anyone else have anything in mind? Do short-sleeve buttoned up shirts work? Polos? Are there any regular graphic tees that would go with a tie?

Thanks!

benchan

Reaction score
If you were indeed a person who likes it simple , I suggest you avoid pairing a tie with tee at all cost. Another thing is I don't what ties you wear at work, but the usual high end silk ties don't go well with streetwear. Perhaps you can take a look at band of outsider for some inspiration. Short-sleeves with tie works for some people.

168037620_a663f901e1.jpg

GWHiZiTSPHiL

Reaction score
i don't wear the usual ties i wear at work. i love band of outsiders. usually i wear the slim ties like the ones that are cut off at the end.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GWHiZiTSPHiL
i don't wear the usual ties i wear at work. i love band of outsiders. usually i wear the slim ties like the ones that are cut off at the end.

You'll find lots of tie like that by Helmut Lang (now defunct) and Prada. Check on Yoox for discounted ties from last winter season, unless you insist on being bleeding edge (about ties?). Band of Outsiders makes good (but overpriced) skinny ties, and skinny knit ties work well. A cheap and innovative idea is to source yur own vintage ties (i.e. at thrift shops) and have them narrowed. I've never seen it done, but some people do, and insist that it's actually a fairly inexpensive alteration.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I buy skinny vintage Dior and YSL ties from the 80s every once and a while, you can get these on ebay for pretty cheap too.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'e never seen a tie look good with a polo, but it doesnt mean it can't be done. or does it?

despite the disdain many have for tie with denim, I like the look, when done correctly. As mentioned, the key being the tie not being a wide white collar worker type, but something more 'hip' (ie: skinny 2-2.5", maybe knitted/woven, vintage etc). Basically a tie that one wouldnt ever wear to the workplace.

I like adding a sweater or vest to the denim/tie ensemble. In a casual outfit, I don't like seeing the whole tie, so the sweater covers the bottom portion just right. The newest GQ has a blurb on that exact look, with the recommendation you loosen the tie for a more casual air, which I agree with.

nomovement

Reaction score
vests aren't neccesary-you can always do the prep school thing with a v-neck or even a crew if its loose. or you can say ******* and just go for the hedi slimane dior look.

gza

Reaction score
I especially like a zippered cardigan with a tie. Or a casual jacket, perhaps a wool milsurp or one that's styled like a classic denim jacket (not necessarily made from denim).

Also consider wearing the tie loosened, with the top button of your shirt undone. Again, the idea is to avoid the conventional tie-wearing professional appearance.

GWHiZiTSPHiL

Reaction score
wow i didn't even know you can get ties altered to be narrowed.

also, anyone know any good places to get some good v-necks and cardigans that'll go with ties?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I'e never seen a tie look good with a polo, but it doesnt mean it can't be done. or does it?

Martin Balsam as the foreman of the jury in 12 Angry Men. Still, it's not an easy one to pull off...

I might attempt it with a very plain, dressy polo (RLPL) and a very thin, straight, dark tie.

But I probably wouldn't.

dk7m

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gza
Also consider wearing the tie loosened, with the top button of your shirt undone. Again, the idea is to avoid the conventional tie-wearing professional appearance.
FWIW I wore an outfit like this recently with a skinny plaid tie and button up shirt with a pair of RRDGs and Marc Jacobs Vans sneakers... anyway, here's a pic:
Plaid.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's a good look. A fitted shirt is essential.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jantzen shirt Vintage tie APC Hipster Chucks

styleoasis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benchan
If you were indeed a person who likes it simple , I suggest you avoid pairing a tie with tee at all cost. Another thing is I don't what ties you wear at work, but the usual high end silk ties don't go well with streetwear. Perhaps you can take a look at band of outsider for some inspiration. Short-sleeves with tie works for some people.

168037620_a663f901e1.jpg

NOOOOOO!

Short sleeve shirts and ties look ridiculous. I don't care who's worn it or how many punk rockers think it's cool, because it's not. The short sleeve sport shirts are fine with me but I view it as a real faux pas to wear a tie with one, or worse one of those short-sleeve dress shirts. Just because you're not at work doesn't mean you need to be stylish.

That said, while it can be difficult, incorporating ties into your casual wardrobe is possible. One suggestion I might have is to do what has been called the modern approach to a tie: wear it with jeans and a dress shirt, leave the shirt untucked. There are host of other ways to do it, and part of it all depends on the tie. It's one of those fashion things where you just have to be creative, I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics