• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working towards my first decent suit, RLBL, thoughts?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm close to buying my first decent, SF approved, suit. I love the way the RLBL fits and feels (38R, I'm 6'0", 145). I'm fortunate enough to live in a city where they have them in store and I've been there to try it on a couple of times. I'm usually a 30" waist, so with the 7" drop, I'm sure I can get the trousers taken in an inch. For the fabric, I want a dark charcoal. Any thoughts on a few other fabric ideas (dark navy w/ shadow stripes, black w/ pinstipes
wink.gif
, etc.) or in general? This would be the only suit I'd want to wear to weddings, interviews, etc. until I get something else.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Polo Bleeker or congressman is more suitable for the functions you mentioned.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I think Polo Bleeker or congressman is more suitable for the functions you mentioned.
Well I'd say I want a 2 button, high armhole, thinner notch lapel, double vented, slim suit. The only things I would want to change are the tabs on the trousers (to belt loops, but I think I can have that done if needed). Do the lines you mentioned fall along those sort of modern lines? I hadn't heard of them before nor did I run across them at our local RL store. EDIT: I actually just noticed you posted in a previous RLBL suit thread and you own one, so I appreciate you weighing in.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, though to be quite honest with RL there is not much if any difference in silhouette between a 2 button and 3 button, the button always rolls away.

Thin lapel, high armhole, double vents, slim cut.

Natural shoulders, which are more suitable to conservative functions then RLBL's intense shoulders.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any other thoughts? Is it too fashion forward for an only suit?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how many different ways do you want me to spell it out?

If you didnt get the answer you like, go buy one and try interviewing while wearing it. Maybe I'm wrong and no one will think anything of it.

I generally like Black Label for when i'm on the hunt for womenz.

factorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Any other thoughts? Is it too fashion forward for an only suit?
In my opinion if you are young (guessing so, since it's your first suit) and thin (clearly so, since 6'0" and 145 lbs) you can get away with a slim-fit suit, no problem.

Dark charcoal would be fine for the functions you mentioned. Personally, I'd prefer a solid navy suit, but that truly is a personal preference -- you should get what you are comfortable with and enjoy seeing yourself in.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black label is intense. i have one and look like a total douche bag wearing it (im 20, got it last year)

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
douche bag? thats ridiculous, its fashion forward but certainly not douchy.

factorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hipinion
6'0, isn't it too tall for a 38r?
Depends how long his torso is compared to his legs. I'm 6'2" and have what I'd consider a long torso and wear a 40L, but if I had a normal torso to legs ratio I'd only need a 40R.

GQBaller

Reaction score
black label is intense. i have one and look like a total douche bag wearing it (im 20, got it last year)

douche bag? thats ridiculous, its fashion forward but certainly not douchy.

I've been mulling buying a Black Label suit for a couple months, and I've been going back and forth between these two positions.

How much padding is in the shoulders? I already have virtually squared shoulders. If RLBL's have a lot of padding, it might be overkill.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't see rlbl as a non ideal first suit. You are young and there's plenty of time for you later to get into a sack suit. Your twenties and mid thirties only last around 15 years while middle age is until then till death.

It certainly aint douchy. It is how you outfit it, how you get it altered and your accessories and stance/gait that will determine that.
I've seen douchey guys in square looking one size too big brooks suits and jab suits.

To the op I recommend you look into john varvatos suits (mainline made in italy) as well.
Thetly have the aspects you look for: narrower lapel, higher armholes, slim silhouette, dark refined colors and designs, a man's designer suit almost analogous to rlbl (except for the shoulders).

GQBaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
To the op I recommend you look into john varvatos suits (mainline made in italy) as well. Thetly have the aspects you look for: narrower lapel, higher armholes, slim silhouette, dark refined colors and designs, a man's designer suit almost analogous to rlbl (except for the shoulders).
How analgous are Theory, mainline Zegna, and Z Zegna? (I know that Theory and Z Zegna are not fully-canvassed)

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQBaller
How analgous are Theory, mainline Zegna, and Z Zegna? (I know that Theory and Z Zegna are not fully-canvassed)

Theory has got some sensible looking blazers and suits and at a clearance price aint bad to have. I would certainly recommend a theory suit just for thrashing about on a weekend night with friends.
But the silhouettes are slim nothing refined and are not on par with rlbl of course. They are all made in china too.

Z zegna is on par with theory but with a few pieces being better than theory.
Mainline zegna is perhaps more on the level of rlbl quality (not silhouette though).

And zegna napoli is higher echelon with isaia, rlpl, and barbera(?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads