• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working Sleeve Buttons on Tuxedo

mrbateman

Reaction score
Hi,

I notcied that tuxedo sleeve buttons are more decorative and don't look like normal suit buttons. It seems weird to me to have working tuxedo sleeve buttons. Thoughts?

chicco196

Reaction score
I think its a personal preference...all mine are working.

ShoesYouCanUse

Reaction score
All of mine are working even on my custom suits. That is what I prefer.

Best regards,

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
It depends on you're tuxedo and your approach to dress I suppose. Everything on a tuxedo is streamlined to represent more formality (eg. ventless typically, **** pockets instead of flap pockets, so on and so on. In my opinion, keeping with this aesthetic, non-functional buttons would be the right approach, but I doubt you'll find anywhere in the world anymore where working buttonholes will be considered gauche on a tuxedo.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbateman
Hi,

I notcied that tuxedo sleeve buttons are more decorative and don't look like normal suit buttons. It seems weird to me to have working tuxedo sleeve buttons. Thoughts?

I get them working, though I see your point. The reason I do it is that the covered tuxedo button is usually (I'm not sure I've seen any that aren't) a shanked button, and with non-functioning cuffs, I find that the shank causes the buttons to flop about a bit on the sleeve. If you combine the shanked button with a working cuff, the shank sits down nicely in the buttonhole, and the buttons sit rather elegantly on the sleeve.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
OP, do you go by "mister" or "master?"

confused.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbateman
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I agree that the buttons seem to flop about alot. I'll get mine working.

That might be hard, are they unionized?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics