• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working out with limited equipment available

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out whether I can really put together a good weight routine given how limited my gym is. And, to answer the obvious question, I use that gym because it's in my building/free for residents. We have:

Dumbbells up to 75lbs
Smith Machine
Full cable machine (with a variety of handles)
Leg Press (the kind where you push yourself up on the chair, not the kind where you sit back with weights above you)
A number of other chest/shoulder/arm/leg machines
One free bar (but curved for arm exercises, can't do full deadlifts)

I've been doing a pretty simple routine, where the first day I do:

Goblet Squats
Bench Press
Lunges
Pulldowns

and the second day:

Stiff Legged Deadlift (either dumbbells or bar)
Lumberjacks (I think that's what they're called, start in a squatted position holding dumbbell btwn legs, then fire up and thrust it over your head)
One-arm bench press on large rubber ball
Cable rows

I vary the weight and number of reps fairly randomly. However, can I really get a good core workout without real dead lifts and squats? Will my current core exercises help (the goblet squats, lumberjacks and stiff-legged dead lifts)? I'm not good enough at the SLDL to have maxed out on available weights yet, but I'm already using exclusively 75lbs for the goblet squats.

Anything else I can really do, given what's available, or do I need to join a gym?

turbozed

Reaction score
All you need is a power rack, bench, barbell bar, and a pull-up bar. Skip the machines.

With these you can do the best muscle building exercises:

1) Squat (the most important exercise!!!)
2) Bench
3) Overhead Press
4) Deadlift
5) Pull-ups/Chin-ups

Maybe add in power cleans and rows for variety.

For core exercises, these four are usually suggested
1) Overhead squat (you'll just need a barbell for these, and you won't be able to do much weight)
2) Saxon side bends (need dumbells for these, low weight)
3) Decline sit-ups with weight (need a decline with these, sorry)
4) Waiter walks

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
All you need is a power rack, bench, and a pull-up bar.

With these you can do the best muscle building exercises:

1) Squat
2) Bench
3) Overhead Press
4) Deadlift
5) Pull-ups/Chin-ups

Maybe add in power cleans and rows for variety.

Problem is, I only have two of the three, and the bench doesn't have a rack and bar, so I can only use dumbbells on it. I've always been pretty poor at pull-ups, and used to use the assisted machine to build up my ability to do them. However, I don't have that, so I've stopped being able to work up to full pull-ups.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Problem is, I only have two of the three, and the bench doesn't have a rack and bar, so I can only use dumbbells on it. I've always been pretty poor at pull-ups, and used to use the assisted machine to build up my ability to do them. However, I don't have that, so I've stopped being able to work up to full pull-ups.

Your overhead presses should advance your ability to do pull ups. When you can do at least a couple of pull-ups per set, just do 3 sets of pullups or chinups (I like to alternate) until exhaustion.

You really should invest in the barbell bar and some heavy plates. Sell the other equipment if you must!

As for squats, would you be able to put the barbell on the bench press rack and then de-rack the weight standing up to do squats? You need a way to get the bar to your shoulder/chest level so you can rack and derack your barbell.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I'm trying to figure out whether I can really put together a good weight routine given how limited my gym is. And, to answer the obvious question, I use that gym because it's in my building/free for residents. We have:

Dumbbells up to 75lbs
Smith Machine
Full cable machine (with a variety of handles)
Leg Press (the kind where you push yourself up on the chair, not the kind where you sit back with weights above you)
A number of other chest/shoulder/arm/leg machines
One free bar (but curved for arm exercises, can't do full deadlifts)

I've been doing a pretty simple routine, where the first day I do:

Goblet Squats
Bench Press
Lunges
Pulldowns

and the second day:

Stiff Legged Deadlift (either dumbbells or bar)
Lumberjacks (I think that's what they're called, start in a squatted position holding dumbbell btwn legs, then fire up and thrust it over your head)
One-arm bench press on large rubber ball
Cable rows

I vary the weight and number of reps fairly randomly. However, can I really get a good core workout without real dead lifts and squats? Will my current core exercises help (the goblet squats, lumberjacks and stiff-legged dead lifts)? I'm not good enough at the SLDL to have maxed out on available weights yet, but I'm already using exclusively 75lbs for the goblet squats.

Anything else I can really do, given what's available, or do I need to join a gym?

Look. When Dorian first started off, he trained from his garage. The end result after a few short years was a body capable of winning a few competitions. Not the professionals of course, but very very impressive. His next spurt came when he trained real heavy and he literally came out of the blue to start dominating Mr Olympia competitions.

So the answer to your question is no. You do not need fancy equipment or fancy routine.
The basics would do just fine. What matters is your attitude, dedication and perseverance.

Keep it up, train wisely with continuous pressure and you will see results. You can thank me later.

beasty

Reaction score
You really should invest in the barbell bar and some heavy plates. Sell the other equipment if you must!

He can't sell it. It does not belong to him.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your overhead presses should advance your ability to do pull ups. When you can do at least a couple of pull-ups per set, just do 3 sets of pullups or chinups (I like to alternate) until exhaustion.

As for squats, would you be able to put the barbell on the bench press rack and then de-rack the weight standing up to do squats? You need a way to get the bar to your shoulder/chest level so you can rack and derack your barbell.

didn't you read his post?

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
He can't sell it. It does not belong to him.

lol I know. should that be a problem?
laugh.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd change gyms if yours doesn't have a power rack. If not, you'll have to get creative, probably lots of lunges or one leg squats.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your overhead presses should advance your ability to do pull ups.

Is this true? One is a pushing motion and the other is pulling, is there really significant carry over?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you don't need a power rack to do overhead squats. Although to me they seem awfully hard to do with dumbbells.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ehhhh if you can lift the bar over your head like that to do an overhead squat, you aren't using enough weight.

If you are able to clean a set of dumbbells to your shoulders to squat, you aren't using enough weight.

The rack is for back squats, and there is no substitute for them, that I know of at least.

Originally Posted by robertorex
you don't need a power rack to do overhead squats. Although to me they seem awfully hard to do with dumbbells.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn

The rack is for back squats, and there is no substitute for them, that I know of at least.

Well we're in agreement on this one. There's no substitute for real high-weight back squats. Overhead squats are great, but for a different purpose (core stability). They're also ridiculously had to do and I can't imagine doing them with dumbells (though maybe i'll try one day).

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Ehhhh if you can lift the bar over your head like that to do an overhead squat, you aren't using enough weight.

If you are able to clean a set of dumbbells to your shoulders to squat, you aren't using enough weight.

Why do I find this so wrong?

If you overhead squat, you are not doing it to rack up some big lifts. I would say, from experience, that the weight you can reasonably handle with overhead squat to be about 30% of what you can squat. Most people will be able to clean this weight and push it overhead. It's enough weight, especially if the exercise is more difficult than a back squat.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Well we're in agreement on this one. There's no substitute for real high-weight back squats. Overhead squats are great, but for a different purpose (core stability). They're also ridiculously had to do and I can't imagine doing them with dumbells (though maybe i'll try one day).

Here's a squat you can do with DBs. Grab two DBs, I'd use 10kg and 5kg for starters, and hold the light one over head and the heavier one by your side, and squat. Having a DB overhead and one on your side, with different weights, engages your body's core heavily and you will feel burns like no other. You don't need a squat rack, though it would be better to have one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads