• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working Out/Running Sick

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you guys handle this? I have a sinus infection, and feel crummy. Can I still run without fear of worsening my condition? Can I hit the gym, or will it make me feel worse? I don't want to lose fitness as I have a big game this weekend. Should I just lighten my load? Will working out/running help?

Thanks.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
How do you guys handle this? I have a sinus infection, and feel crummy. Can I still run without fear of worsening my condition? Can I hit the gym, or will it make me feel worse? I don't want to lose fitness as I have a big game this weekend. Should I just lighten my load? Will working out/running help?

Thanks.

just sweat it out, unless you are deathly ill or have a high fever, you should be fine...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's something not severe, I work out through it. I don't remember it affecting my ability to perform in the gym. In fact, it definitely clears up my head a bit to work out.

If it's a bad case of the flu, I would abstain.

Kris

Reaction score
An opposing view:

I recommend against it, strongly...

unless you LIKE being sick, getting sicker, and staying sick longer, in which case you should definitely work out.

Rest is absolutely the best way to quickly beat a bug. If you exercise, you detract from your body's ability to combat the bacteria or virus in its natural way, by interfering with heat regulation, nutrient uptake/use, antibodies, etc. It's the same relationship that causes you to catch bugs when you over-train.

Even eating high-protein, slow-digestion foods such as beef can slow your recovery from illness, as the "digestion challenge" taxes your body in the same way.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can go run outside, sure. Just don't go to the gym and get 18 other people sick.

Mauby

Reaction score
Just stick to your normal routine. If your body can't handle it, you'll know within 10 minutes. At that point, cut it short and go home, rest, and keep drinking fluids.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually take a day or two off when the cold is at its worst. As it lightens up, I ease back into my routine. This usually helps my recovery, as opposed to hurting.

Listen to your body. If you want to work out, do it. If feel like crap, lay off. Your body will let you know how things are going.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
An opposing view:

I recommend against it, strongly...

unless you LIKE being sick, getting sicker, and staying sick longer, in which case you should definitely work out.

Rest is absolutely the best way to quickly beat a bug. If you exercise, you detract from your body's ability to combat the bacteria or virus in its natural way, by interfering with heat regulation, nutrient uptake/use, antibodies, etc. It's the same relationship that causes you to catch bugs when you over-train.

Even eating high-protein, slow-digestion foods such as beef can slow your recovery from illness, as the "digestion challenge" taxes your body in the same way.

What would you suggest to eat?

Kris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
What would you suggest to eat?

Soup (homemade chicken, etc), sauteed vegetables, fresh fruit, smaller portions of whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat bread), fish. Drink lots of water. A multivitamin in the morning.

Avoid beef, starchy foods (potatoes, semolina pasta, white bread, etc.), cheese.

Lots of sleep.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Lets take a look at this question.

Your body is a system. Too much stress on the system = getting sick. Exercise = applied stress to parts of your system.

Overstressed system + more stress = ...

???

Profit!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a firm believer in avoiding strenuous exercise until you are fully recovered. My Dutch grandfather had just recovered from a fever and was strolling on the beach when he saw a woman drowning. He swam out and saved her, then keeled over and died of a heart attack. He was only 40 years old. I think there is a lesson there.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I am a firm believer in avoiding strenuous exercise until you are fully recovered. My Dutch grandfather had just recovered from a fever and was strolling on the beach when he saw a woman drowning. He swam out and saved her, then keeled over and died of a heart attack. He was only 40 years old. I think there is a lesson there.

whoa. that's so sad.

aleeboy

Reaction score
When you are sick, you need to give your body sufficient rest so it can use it to heal itself. Our bodies are very good at telling us what to do... say if you are overtraining, like I did, and your body cannot recover and you are always tired.. what should you do? Keep working out?

I have experimented with both views whilst sick/tired. Whilst having a head cold didn't really effect my workouts, it did effect my recovery from it. And resting while my body felt overly tired brought my lifts up and I was more energetic.

Just my thoughts... go with what your body is telling you. Being sick also puts you kind of out of the mood to workout, which I think is important.

My 2 cents....

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd just wait and let your body use its resources towards getting you well rather than repairing muscles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads