• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working out in my apartment?

cmrocks

Reaction score
I want to get a fairly basic weight set up for working out in my apartment. I don't live near a gym and I don't have the time to bus there and back since I'm a university student. Also, I figure that for the price of a yearly gym membership, I can get a decent home set up.

I'm 5'9 and weigh about 165 lbs. I had a bodyfat test done and I was around 14%. I would like to stay around 165 lbs but replace some of that body fat with muscle mass. Right now, I have some muscle mass for sure but I'm lacking definition and I have more fat than I would like around my midsection. I don't think my goals are very unrealistic.

Right now, I do almost no cardio. I'm working in the arctic for the summer on an exploration drill and the work is quite physical. We also curl and press drill rods for an extra workout. That is what has given me my current muscle mass. This fall, I'll be back at school again and I want to start doing a more proper workout routine.

What do you guys suggest I look into getting? I like the idea of having stuff in my apartment because I can do a 40 minute workout (either cardio or lifting) six days a week and it won't eat into my schedule too much.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do don't do pushups. Apparently they are worthless.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ROFL

----

Seriously though, I really like my set of Powerblocks. Full set of dumbells that use very very little space.

Also a pullup bar and pushup handles would be a great idea too.

If you have room, which I doubt, a squat rack would be a very good idea.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adjustable bench and PowerBlock dumbbells.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

Yup, I had this setup for a long time in a one bedroom apartment and it worked great for me. If you have more space, then you should definitely look into getting a power rack, bench, barbell and weights. But at a minimum, you can pretty much get a full workout with an adjustable bench and powerblocks.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I found a decent flat/incline bench for 60 bucks that doesn't take up much space. Look around at sporting goods stores. It had a bunch of attachment bullshit that came with it, but that all came off easily enough with a hacksaw

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get one of though pull up bar thingy that attaches to door/wall as well.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

That's a good suggestion. Add a pull-up bar and you're looking pretty good.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumbbells in an an apartment are very Taxi Driver.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny
Whatever you do don't do pushups. Apparently they are worthless.

He wants to lose fat and gain muscle. So you are mostly correct.

I only work out in my apartment, and for the most part I get along fine. I have two dumbbell bars, one barbell, and one EZ bar, around 250lbs in weights, a situp bench (that I also use for dumbbell presses) and a small stationary bike. All I feel I'm really missing out on are regular squats (vs front squats which I can do) and barbell bench presses.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
All I feel I'm really missing out on are regular squats (vs front squats which I can do) and barbell bench presses.

Do deadlifts, step-ups or lunges if you want to mix it up for the legs a bit.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FYI, in case you guys didn't know. You no longer have to get pullup bars that require screwing/drilling in mounting brackets to the door frame. They have ones now that cost about 30 bucks that mount via your bodyweight on the top of the door frame. Also they usually have handles so you can do dips as well.

Originally Posted by Grayland
That's a good suggestion. Add a pull-up bar and you're looking pretty good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads