• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

working out at home

tom221

Reaction score
I've being working out from home a little bit for a while now (just doing sit up/press ups).

What else can i do though, sit ups and press ups are getting pretty boring now lol.

I'm not a complete weiner lol, but i think i need a bit more muscle. I work as a apprentice mechanic and it's pretty embarrasing when i can't pick up say a gearbox easily when a few of the others can pick it up like a cushion lol.

So i'd like a bit more muscle in my arm, and in my stomch (just for the look LOL).

So am i right in just staying with doing sit ups and press ups or is there other workouts i could do?
I know you're probably going to suggest the gym but i don't really have time for it at the moment and i havn't got any equipment at home.

unrated

Reaction score
Since you don't have any equipment, heres a few ideas:

-Pushups with different hand positions and spacing. Different angles, like putting your feet up on a chair. Perform them one-handed, on fingertips, knuckles, thumb, etc...
-Handstand pushups against the wall. Once you get good enough do it out in the open.
-Dips on 2 chairs, just tuck your legs in
-body weight squat / one legged squat
-calf raises, get a telephone book and do it on top for greater range of motion
-Since you want abs, do crunches, leg raises and bridges, v-ups, things of that nature

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burpees / superburpees (or burpees with a full pushup while on your hands). I recommend the latter.

Also, get a pullup bar and do pullups. Lots of them.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Also, get a pullup bar and do pullups. Lots of them.

Yeah lol. That's a good idea LOL. So the OP can put on some lol muscle lol.

Lol lol lol

Here's one more LOL for good measure.

Taxler

Reaction score
A mechanic should be able to get enough exercise during the day to build muscle. If you can't lift the gear box, try curling an alternator a few times, and follow that up with a helthy lunch.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Push cars around

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Push cars around

That is excellent exercise. My wife would kill me if I started doing that though. I already get funny looks for being the 44 year-old who does sprints in our suburban neighborhood. I considered getting a huge tire and flipping it up and down the street, but my wife and 3 daughters begged me not to do that.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I considered getting a huge tire and flipping it up and down the street, but my wife and 3 daughters begged me not to do that.

Haha that'd be really badass.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here you go ... the "no rack" bench.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Just need a couple of strong friends. lefty

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Yeah lol. That's a good idea LOL. So the OP can put on some lol muscle lol.

Lol lol lol

Here's one more LOL for good measure.

I thought it was one of those "How many F's are in this paragraph" tests substituting lol (the answer is four too many). lol

tom221

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
A mechanic should be able to get enough exercise during the day to build muscle. If you can't lift the gear box, try curling an alternator a few times, and follow that up with a helthy lunch.

I do get alot of exercise during the day, and i am building muscle from it, just not quickly enough lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

lizmasc

Reaction score
Here's easy suggestions that are simple and able to provide you with strength and some muscle.

Warmup (10 minutes light cardio, stationary bike for example)

1. Pullups
2. Dips (could be made between 2 chairs with a setting/distance comfortable to you)
3. Crunches

Those are to be made with 3 sets of whatever you can handle. There's not a problem if you can't do a single pullup, just put a chair below you and help yourself with it until you can make 1 rep without any help. Your goal is to make strict pullups eventually, not kipping it (kipping pullups are pullups where you move a lot and build lots of momentum that help you with making the pullup)
bigstar[1].gif
smiley2.gif

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P90X.

I personally don't use it. But if it is what I think it is (periodization), then it will work well.

Periodization is a mainstay of many good BB programs and regimines.

This guy (Tony?) had the brilliance of packaging a version of periodization and selling it to homebodies. ******* genius.

Little do these consumers know is that great periodization programs abound on the internet. You could have saved $300 and made your own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics