• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working nights

sydneycentric

Reaction score
About to start working nights (approx 3-4 nights per week). Whats the best way to keep healthy for this type of work? Obviously eating during the night can't be good...

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Don't eat.

This must be amongst the dumbest "˜advice' you have given. Even judging by your lofty standards.

If he is awake and working and he does not eat, how does starving himself makes one healthy?

What if he does heavy duty work and ends up maiming or killing himself due to your harebrained advice? What if he gets sacked due to his inability to concentrate due to his hunger? Would you then rejoice that you had suckered another clown with your "˜advice'? Would you be answerable to him and his family? Jesus H Christ!

oxide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
This must be amongst the dumbest "˜advice' you have given. Even judging by your lofty standards.

If he is awake and working and he does not eat, how does starving himself makes one healthy?

What if he does heavy duty work and ends up maiming or killing himself due to your harebrained advice? What if he gets sacked due to his inability to concentrate due to his hunger? Would you then rejoice that you had suckered another clown with your "˜advice'? Would you be answerable to him and his family? Jesus H Christ!

u cant be serious right? u went too far with that. last paragraph just overkilled it

this forum is not the law, if i write "go kill urself" he's not going to do it. Maybe im going on about it too much so ill stop here.

Light food is best IMO. nothing heavy on the stomach (no red meat etc.)

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydneycentric
About to start working nights (approx 3-4 nights per week). Whats the best way to keep healthy for this type of work? Obviously eating during the night can't be good...

Working nights as in a full 8 hr shift through the night? like 11pm-7am?

I would eat, not a whole lot, but eat. You are going to be up and doing stuff I'd imagine so you'll have to eat. People say don't eat at night cause then you go to bed, but you won't be going to bed, so eating will be fine.

Deluks917

Reaction score
The timing of your meals really doesn't do anything. if you are fine with your diet now just rearrange the meals so that it works but eat the same amount.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oxide
u cant be serious right? u went too far with that. last paragraph just overkilled it

this forum is not the law, if i write "go kill urself" he's not going to do it. Maybe im going on about it too much so ill stop here.

Light food is best IMO. nothing heavy on the stomach (no red meat etc.)

Look here! You can tell many people here are in need of help for even the most basic things. I mean who lacks so much self confidence that they go on the net to ask what haircut look best on them? That is why it is incumbent on those who can, to guide them along and for those who can't to shut their piehole.

The worse you can do is then mock and ridicule and sabotage these people for your own fun. I mean if you tell people drinking tuna brine 24 hours a day would make them gain 20 pounds of mass overnight, they would do it.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work the night shift at my hospital. I work 12 hour shifts, often 4 times a week. My diet has been low to no carb since October 1. Since then I have dropped 67 lbs, in just over 3 months. I consider working nights to be one of the things that helped me do it.

Normally, working days, I would come home, watch TV, and eat unhealthly out of boredom. But since I get home at 8 AM, I don't have much an appetite, but I am very tired, and usually start to nod off on the couch. So I shower and go to bed.

Overall my caloric consumption is way down, but I have started riding my stationary bike 30 minutes every day. Sometimes for an hour on my days off.

So, yeah, night shift doesn't mean death to a diet. I have had no temptations during the holidays either. I even made homemade cinammon rolls for everyone at work, and didn't touch a single one.

lizmasc

Reaction score
I've done night shifts 5 days a week before from 23pm to 7am, by that time I would be tired but not exactly sleepy. I'd managed to sleep without much effort though but with some people that can really screw up the sleeping patterns while for others it's easier to adapt. I have some respect for people that do nights shifts, as I've only done it for some time
confused.gif
smiley2.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
Changing the timing of your meals is not going to do anything harmful, it is just like eating during the day.

Yes, this.

If you still are getting the same X hours of sleep per 24 hour period, just shift meals around. Nothing else changes. Be grateful that your job isn't days and nights, like mine tends to be sometimes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads