Working List of Mid and High Range Tie Makers/Labels

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Oct 6, 2010.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I'm going to fly in the face of received SF wisdom right now and state that RLPL and RLBL neckties are wildly overrated. The quality is just not there like it is in other RLBL/RLPL products.
    I disagree on RLPL. I have seven of them, and they're all sturdily lined and made from thick silk that releases almost all wrinkles after hagning. I believe that they're 7-fold ties, too.

2. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

I would imagine that it was sourced from eleswhere ... a maker on the list in Post #1. All of the Savile Row tailors sell ties ... but they don't make them ... they are made for them ... by Drakes, Charles Hill, or other similar makers.
    If I was curious about finding out where the McQueen tie was sourced from, how would I go about doing that? Do they publicize that info?

3. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Is Napoli still made?

I thought that it was only Couture these days.

I guess I have no idea. I was just wearing one of the "Napoli Couture" the other day and thinking what an incredibly nice tie it was. But I suppose I bought it like six years ago or so.

4. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

I'm going to fly in the face of received SF wisdom right now and state that RLPL and RLBL neckties are wildly overrated. The quality is just not there like it is in other RLBL/RLPL products.

I disagree on RLPL, but RLBL ties are shite.

5. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

RLPL ties are really, really nice. They tie the best knot out of my collection, and I find myself reaching for them perhaps more then even the Drakes, Breuer, and Charverts in my closet. The silk has a unique "dryness" that I absolutely love.

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

4 of the 5 RLBL ties I own are nice. The other one is so-so. Maybe it's a hit-or-miss label?

7. cchen

cchen Senior member

Correct me if i'm wrong with RLPL is/was made by altea

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I think that Leonard should be on one of the lists. I'd suggest the top list, but reasonable people can disagree. (I think Leonard ties are better than Canali, for example.)

9. detroiter

detroiter Senior member

I personally like brioni's the best because i can always find them at last call for 63 or less (90 + 30% off). Usually can find ricci's for that price too, but they seem waaaaaaaayyyy too wide, brionis i believe are like 3.25, but those ricci's have to be damn near 4".

I take this back, i bought my first Ricci tie yesterday, and it is not at all too wide, only paid 49 for it too.

10. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

How is the quality of Thomas Pink ties? I was at the Las Vegas store at The Forum Shops.... was tempted to make a purchase, but didn't know enough about their quality.

11. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

The old Carlo Franco ties (if you can find one) belong on the top tier list.

What's the point of bringing them up these days? Carlo Franco and his bunk operation are completely irrelevant.

12. detroiter

detroiter Senior member

How is the quality of Thomas Pink ties? I was at the Las Vegas store at The Forum Shops.... was tempted to make a purchase, but didn't know enough about their quality.

I own one thomas pink tie, and frankly i think its cheap shit. I am no tie expert, but out of my 13 ties, i put it in the bottom three.

13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

How about Kilgour and Gieves & Hawkes? Are they on par with Drake's/Turnbull & Asser?

14. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

I own one thomas pink tie, and frankly i think its cheap shit. I am no tie expert, but out of my 13 ties, i put it in the bottom three.

That is what I figured... The designs were pretty nice and some of the ties felt nice in-hand, but on closer inspection, didn't seem to justify their price tag.

15. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

What exactly separates the high end from the mid end? What exactly is better quality? How can the uninitiated determine which has better construction?

I don't ask to criticize. I ask because I have absolutely no idea how to tell a good tie from a great tie. Other than how one holds up and the feel I suppose.

Also, what about the XMI Platinum sold at Nordstroms? I don't own one, but I've read a few very positive reviews about them. I like my RT's BOC.