• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working Hard or Hardly Working: Employment, or the Alternatives.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This is an older paper, but as human nature doesn't change, I think still applicable. I suspect many people have downscaled their lives and find they can live on less. Also, and why this paper is apropos, many people have freshly encountered the UI system and now feel more comfortable using it.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an older paper, but as human nature doesn't change, I think still applicable. I suspect many people have downscaled their lives and find they can live on less. Also, and why this paper is apropos, many people have freshly encountered the UI system and now feel more comfortable using it.

Yup - point well taken. I was only weighing in on the aptness of quit rate in supporting the point.

UI wasn't part of the thought process for us, but I can certainly attest that Mrs. WKLQ76A and I did think about downscaling our lives over the last year. It's been wild.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wasn't directed at you, just dropping it out there.

I can attest once you breach certain barriers, breaching them again is probably likely. My adult life I've been super paranoid about being unemployed, never finding similar work again, etc. Last year I just walked away with my only plan being to take months off. I'm pretty up to doing it again now that I've discovered not having a job isn't the end of your career.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a lot of people wanting to go out on their own, too. My wife has been doing some strategy work at a national bakery franchise that her firm owns. They typically open about 50 new stores a year and currently have over 6000 qualified and funded new franchisee applications.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of people wanting to go out on their own, too. My wife has been doing some strategy work at a national bakery franchise that her firm owns. They typically open about 50 new stores a year and currently have over 6000 qualified and funded new franchisee applications.

Breadsmith?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I keep hearing that some former retail spaces in malls will be converted to low cost housing but have yet to see one of those projects get off the ground. I would imagine some major give from zoning would be required.

Rackspace took over a failed mall and turned it into their corporate HQ. It was a pretty cool space.

The Great Nope Out.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
?

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can attest once you breach certain barriers, breaching them again is probably likely. My adult life I've been super paranoid about being unemployed, never finding similar work again, etc. Last year I just walked away with my only plan being to take months off. I'm pretty up to doing it again now that I've discovered not having a job isn't the end of your career.
I know 7 people who've walked away from jobs this year. Common across the board was a lack of alignment with top org leadership/owners and an inability to reconcile that gap / differences after they were raised or one big issue brought things to a head. So, "take this job and shove it"...

Time will tell, but I think a number of these people will be bowing out of corporate life. Everyone seems pretty clear that walking away and gaining perspective has been positive. Maybe that's just after the fact justification, but likely this has been the only time these folks have not simply moved from one roll right into another.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A gentleman never works.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sweet, I qualify!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics