1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Working for ethics or money?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Styleman, Sep 3, 2004.

1. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

chiefs, kings, and scholars are all potentially 'productive'. IRS agents, on the other hand... [​IMG]

2. Kai

Kai Senior member

I have faced these issues as well. Spent my first few years out of law school working for a big NYC firm. Making lots of money, but didn't have any time with my family.

I was lucky enough to find a job that provides me with a better balance of work/family etc. that I enjoy.

I will tell you a funny (at least to me) story that happened to me my first year as an attorney.

My first year out of law school, I attended a firm party at the home of one of the senior partners of the firm. His house was a huge mansion in Greenwich, CT. Well over 10,000 square feet, a big, beautiful manicured lawn, a boat slip, pool, and a beautiful view of the ocean.
    One of the other senior partners called all of us first year associates around him. He said:

"You see Bill's house? It's pretty amazing, isn't it." (appreciative nods from all of us first years) "It would be pretty cool to be able to afford a house like this someday, wouldn't it?" (more affirmative nods from the first year associates) "Well," he continued, "I'm going to tell you a secret about our law firm." "If you work really really hard, and I mean REALLY hard, that means weekends, holidays, birthdays, and late into the night . . . and you bill thousands of hours, and generate new business for our firm . . . and you do that year after year. . . . then Bill will be able to build another house, just like this one, down in Florida."

More than a grain of truth in this joke.

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Mexican.

"Well, then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife.? In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs... I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you.

You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat. With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers.

Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City. From there you can direct your huge enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards?? That's when it gets really interesting," answered American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions."

"Millions?? Really?? And after that?"

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take siestas with your wife, and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends."

4. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Jon:

Great story- was going to post it myself but I couldn't remember it. Made the same point I was trying to with my rant on the class system. But more gently done.

Kudos.

5. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah, but where is the fun in that? And lay off my word Kudos, willya? [​IMG] JJF

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Jon, I loved it. Great post.

7. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

Thanks for the recommendation. I remember trying to read some of her works back in college when I was a deep thinker and all that, but I could not seem to get into her storylines. I'm not a big fiction fan anyway. Personally, I like Robert J. Ringer, a cuddly libertarian if there ever was one. He published several books during the 1970's and 1980's on "rational living" and living in reality (as opposed to fantasyland). Some titles include: "Winning Through Intimidation", "Looking Out For #1", "Million Dollar Habits", "Getting What You Want, The 7 Principles of Rational Living". I highly recommend the latter two to those who may be interested in such crazy things as living in reality. Works for me.