• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working for a startup (or how I am about to turn my life upside down)

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are being bulldozed. And played for a fool.

OTOH, if you don't have any other job/any other options, I don't guess you have anything to lose.

Originally Posted by feynmix

I brought up equity into the equation: They say that it doesn't make any sense for them to give me equity straightaway (since I don't have the experience or the sales track record), but that they are willing to give me a chance to see what I can do.

If your equity grant only vests after meeting certain targets, then it doesn't cost them anything up front. At this point your salary costs them more than the equity; as it effects their cash burn rate, while their equity is worthless.

They are willing to give equity after a certain time period, if I meet expectations (this is tough to set) and reach certain goals (also difficult to set). Besides, they will probably be backed by a VC by the end of the year and so getting any sort of equity after that would be tough.
They are willing to give it to you after a time period/trial run, but by the end of the year they will have VC funding and won't be able to give out anymore equity
confused.gif
plain.gif
Repeat that to yourself a few times.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this juncture I would have to agree; they're trying to get a fully qualified staff member to relocate on a risky platform for zero financial incentive.

I would say that this is a case of not all that glitters being golden.

R-H

Reaction score
In terms of salary, they are willing to pay Indian market rate salary (salary is OK, comparable to say making ~55k in NYC).

It sounds like these guys want you to drop whatever you are doing, move to India, and work for an unknown company for $20k USD (or whatever it works out to). Oh, and they have no idea if this idea will be successful (unlikely) and just have zero idea what they are doing.

I don't see how this benefits you in any way. Work on school, or if you want it bad enough, start working for yourself.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it only benefits if you have zero other options, or are just comparing it to working as a waiter or whatever. It will certainly look better on your Bschool apps than 'barista,' but this is not a serious offer. Or, they are seriously trying to get as much from you for nothing, and are not looking out for you in any way.

highball

Reaction score
Wow lots of good comments/advice in this thread.
My buddy and I first did a large portion of the leg work when the company was just a project, so I know the product and I have been "in" on it since the beginning.
Let me add my voice to the chorus here. I am suspicious of their reluctance to offer any structure for vesting of equity, particularly when it costs them nothing up front, and clearly could be tied to your value-add. It also seems they are unconvinced of your ability to add value, in spite of the fact that you say you were integral to the project/product in the initial stages. This I find strange. How long have they been doing this for? I am surprised that they are unable to identify sales milestones, for vesting of equity or otherwise. Have they not yet been able to determine sales goals based on their current market penetration? If they know they have a need for someone to increase sales, they should have at least a ballpark for these targets. I would be just as wary of a startup that may not have a handle on their pro forma as I would be of one that won't offer equity.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball

How long have they been doing this for? I am surprised that they are unable to identify sales milestones, for vesting of equity or otherwise. Have they not yet been able to determine sales goals based on their current market penetration? If they know they have a need for someone to increase sales, they should have at least a ballpark for these targets. I would be just as wary of a startup that may not have a handle on their pro forma as I would be of one that won't offer equity.

Good point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads