• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working cuffbuttons, need to lenght 1,5cm

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks I bought a great jacket that has working cuffbuttons.

I need to lenght just 1,5 cm , the usual thing before on faux ones was to eliminate one and sew on the other part. I can't do it now.

What is the maximun allowed distance possible from the last one to the edge? Now might be around 5 cm, if I have 7 cm would it be ok?

I don't want to add a 5th cuff, but letting one opened and having 4 on is not bad at all... are 5 cm of empty space too much?

I have seen RTW jackets that the button is 2cm from the edge and others almost 8 that is too much, usual might be like 6... Perhaps If I lenght the sleeve would be 6 or 7 of blank space. Still good?

Thanks

The sleeve measures 63 cm, I need 65.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please let me a hand.

What is the maximun distance allowed from last buttonhole to the edge on a jacket?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However much you feel confident wearing. I have had this done in the past by lengthening the sleeves then adding another (fifth) button hole.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
However much you feel confident wearing. I have had this done in the past by lengthening the sleeves then adding another (fifth) button hole.

But perhaps would be 5 cm ( 2 inches ) or more of empty space.

I have seen RTW coats with far less and far more space by the way, but I was want to follow the forum rules.
biggrin.gif

Thank you

mdg137

Reaction score
I think I would rather err toward having a but longer distance from the button to the cuff, than adding an extra button that would be to close to the cuff-- YMMV...

Macallan

Reaction score
Depending on the jacket, there may enough excess cloth to lengthen it by 1.5/2cm from the shoulders; however, it is difficult to generalise. I have not had this done or know anyone who has lengthened a sleeve with working cuffs.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
6cm would work as a limit. 7would be somewhat excessive.

Freddy Vandecasteele

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan
Depending on the jacket, there may enough excess cloth to lengthen it by 1.5/2cm from the shoulders; however, it is difficult to generalise. I have not had this done or know anyone who has lengthened a sleeve with working cuffs.

How are going to do that?
That is an impossible remedy.
Freddy Vandecasteele

Wicky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan

There is usually about 1 or 2 cm excess fabric in the shoulder area. I never had it done but withinessed a jacket getting shortened from the shoulder, so should be possible.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem with a Kiton cashmere SC. My tailor added a fifth button hole but sent the jacket to the invisible mender and had the first button close up. I can't tell where the first button holes has been mended partly due to the texture of the fabric.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tchoy
Had a similar problem with a Kiton cashmere SC. My tailor added a fifth button hole but sent the jacket to the invisible mender and had the first button close up. I can't tell where the first button holes has been mended partly due to the texture of the fabric.
It's a flannel with cashmere , very tight. If 6 cm sounds ok I'll do it. I promiss to put pictures. Meanwhile the distance is the same as on the picture of my cuffs so add 1,5 cm that. Is it still ok? Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads