• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working button holes

cuffthis

Reaction score
It reeks of showing off.
Serious reeking of showing off.
openbuttonholes3wj.jpg

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you just undo all of the bottom buttons just for this shot?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Did you just undo all of the bottom buttons just for this shot?
Please say "Yes".

pejsek

Reaction score
Wow. That's beautiful. Thanks for demonstrating the proper storage of suits.

cuffthis

Reaction score
(NoVaguy @ Feb. 15 2005,19:50) Did you just undo all of the bottom buttons just for this shot?
Please say "Yes".
Photo is an archive one of my closet from last year (before wallpaper installed). That's the way I wear 'em. But I promise I only ever (ever) open 1 button on 1 sleeve. Why? 1. because I can. 2. If anyone wants to see the pair of vintage cufflinks I am wearing, it makes it easier to show, without raising up your sleeve a lot. Why not? Because I am NOT a snob. I am a modest CPA who appreciates and admires quality. Quality in tailoring, design, innovative thought and creative transaction. And, the 2-3 times a year I visit Mr. Flusser and Mr. Rykken in NYC, one of them or one of the others in their shop has an undone one. It was Clothes and the Man in 1985 who started me on my sartorial journey and helped me to try and acheive the look from the wonderful Cary Grant and Fred Astaire movies on VHS I began collecting (at age 17). I will discuss this with Alan next time I am in NYC. And if he gives me grief, I will defend myself by saying I think a flower in your lapel AND a pocket square is too much. Take that.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mark and Alan leave their sleeve buttons undone? I had not noticed. I don't often disagree with either of them, but I do on this.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Ok, everything closed up. Hope you'all can sleep better now, lol. (Ralph Lauren "Churchill camel houndstooth" wallpaper added since previous archive picture with 1 button opened.
im0007280ct.jpg

jester

Reaction score
Yes, now we can hate you just for the extent of your wardrobe, instead of for your (potential) functional buttonhole violations
wink.gif

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Dear Friend,

I also recall Alan and Mark with all buttons done. I believe that I once asked Alan about this, and he preferred to keep them buttoned.

What's on the bottom rack? Sportscoats?

You have a beautiful wardrobe. Enjoy it.

Son of Brummell (a/k/a Mark Seitelman)

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cuffthis i am so jelous of your wardrobe, hopefully in time i can have something even close.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok what about in this situation, i had to have an extra button hole added on to a suit that needed to be lengthened.  However all the buttons kiss but this one has a little bit of space between the button.  I was thinking it might look better if it was opened or should i just leave it close,  What would you do?
It's gauche to leave them open. It's the mark of the parvenu.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not at all...I picked up a tuxedo jacket a while back that has working buttonholes.  (Thought this was QUITE taboo with regard to formal-wear)  Haven't played in it yet, though.

koji
Why is it taboo to have a dinner jacket with working buttonholes?

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(NoVaguy @ Feb. 15 2005,19:50) Did you just undo all of the bottom buttons just for this shot?
Please say "Yes".
I hope so. It's one of the most vulgar things I think you can do, in matters sartorial. It's akin to telling people how much you make, asking someone the cost of their co-op, etc.

cuffthis

Reaction score
What's on the bottom rack?  Sportscoats?

Yes, my sportcoats are on the botton rack (and the bottom rack of another set of shelves on the other side of my dressing room).

PS - I hope it wasn't my photos that caused the shutdown of this site for bandwidth problems. If so, who do I see to make a $ donation, lol.

And, Mark, nice to identify a fellow LL member with a board name.

Regards,

Tom Hudson

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads