• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working button holes

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is appropriate on suits with working button holes to have one or two open or if this is considered tacky or in ill taste?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Definitely tacky by my standards. Sounds like the Abercrombie spin on the tailored clothing trend.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It reeks of showing off.

Phil

Reaction score
totally agree, very tacky, but I recall getting in a long argument with someone on here recently about it. Knowing they unbutton is enough for me. Actually unbuttoning them if I dont really need to, thats just showing off.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok what about in this situation, i had to have an extra button hole added on to a suit that needed to be lengthened. However all the buttons kiss but this one has a little bit of space between the button. I was thinking it might look better if it was opened or should i just leave it close, What would you do?

jester

Reaction score
I've heard it said that it's OK to have one sleeve button unbuttoned--that is, just one (on one side of the suit), not the bottom one (on both sides). I personally keep all of my working buttonholes buttoned, but has anyone heard this folklore before? (I missed any previous thread on this.)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ideally, if possible, move it just a little bit so that it lines up right. Otherwise, maybe 1/2 unbutton it? I don't know.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There can be two sides on Demeis' last question. I'd rather be thought a show-off than be conscious that the buttons don't kiss (which I like less than the unbuttoned buttonhole). I'd leave it open.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I look to the clothing greats, such as the Duke, Astaire, Gary Cooper, and Adolphe Menjou. None of them left open a sleeve button. A few contemporary guys that I respect keep all buttons closed. I saw Cary Grant in "People Will Talk" hold a telephone receiver which showed that the second button was left undone. I sometimes see some gents in the 57th St. area with two undone buttons. This is the sign of a show-off who typically is a salesman at one of the better stores.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I undo the outer one and the 3rd one (on a 4 button). I do have some practical reasons for doing this though.

koji

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, if everyone agrees that it's tacky to have open buttons, why are working buttonholes a "feature" on RTW and why do the manufacturers bother. Is it an empty boast or is there another reason?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sometimes see some gents in the 57th St. area with two undone buttons.  This is the sign of a show-off who typically is a salesman at one of the better stores.
Hehe i'm a salesman but don't want to be a show off though, however i don't want to look tacky and have one of 5 buttons not kissing, sigh, what to do

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, why do the salesmen do it so much? Seriously, every salesman.

Some guy in the tie dept. in Bergdorfs this weekend had three open, sleeve was flapping all over the place.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I _knew_ that the reason Manton glanced at my cuffs at lunch last week was not because of my cool RJ cufflinks. Sigh. I think leaving the things open is a tad gauche, particularly as more and more dodgy RTW suits have working buttonholes.... But still, as very few people even know what buttonholes are... Nah, can;t defend it -- I like playing with the buttonholes, what do you want, I'm young...

Your friendly neighborhood RJman...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads