• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working Button Holes - Yay or Nay

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious , as I currently have 3 Suits (Trousers to be Cuffed) and 6 Jackets that require Button Placement only (zero Tailoring).

The likely cost at my Local Tailor is probably just under $1K , with working button holes/or a **** load less at the local Dry Cleaners.

How many people go with working buttons?

Macallan

Reaction score
Save your money and leave the buttons alone.

I have jackets (sport jackets and suit jackets) with and without working buttons, it does not make a difference; it does seem nicer when putting the jacket on, but I forget about it afterwards.

If I am getting a bespoke jacket or suit made, I would want working buttons; however, would not spend the money on tailoring for rtw jackets.

Spend the money on decent scotch, Cuban cigars and hookers instead ;)

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my thinking exactly
Spend the money on decent scotch, Cuban cigars and hookers instead

Coburn

Reaction score

Save your money and leave the buttons alone.

... it does seem nicer when putting the jacket on, but I forget about it afterwards.
;)

They're pretty much pointless. You basically get them for free on a bespoke garment (or at least, I've never thought to ask, "can I get $100 off if we do fake buttonholes?") but I wouldn't pay to have them put on a RTW coat.

+1
Don't put them on RTW.

I have them on my MTM suits but they come with the price. I actually tried to negotiate a price break to forgo the working button holes. No traction with the tailor on that point.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious , as I currently have 3 Suits (Trousers to be Cuffed) and 6 Jackets that require Button Placement only (zero Tailoring).

The likely cost at my Local Tailor is probably just under $1K , with working button holes/or a **** load less at the local Dry Cleaners.

I would have gotten working buttonholes to begin with rather than going through this jazz. If you have to pay to get them added, then skip it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads