Working as a private chef

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mgm9128, Jun 30, 2011.

1. SField

SField Senior member

Hmm...you might be on to something
    I mean you know people with private chefs... the people usually know very little about food. They love the idea of having a private chef. And the private chef only needs to be as good as the taste of the people employing them. As long as he is trying his best, and getting better as he goes along, while taking a modest salary, I see no problems.

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

The fact that she's willing to hire him without ever having tasted his food is as worrisome as his lack of experience.

Charisma sells.

3. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    I mean you know people with private chefs... the people usually know very little about food. They love the idea of having a private chef. And the private chef only needs to be as good as the taste of the people employing them. As long as he is trying his best, and getting better as he goes along, while taking a modest salary, I see no problems.
    I agree with this [​IMG] Most people I know go so far as to hire someone for convenience. They just want someone to cook and it doesn't need to be spectacular Maybe she'll ask for an all salad menu But really...you think $50k is too much? Not comparing it to a restaurant I think it is too little unless he's a sous chef in someone's home

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I'd hire a white butler for $100 a day, don't need to eat other people's food though. Maybe I should do just that.

5. CouttsClient

I'd hire a white butler for $100 a day, don't need to eat other people's food though. Maybe I should do just that.
    mmm...what?

6. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

MGM, are you gorgeous?
    Being young and fit certainly may have helped. That I was wearing a suit didn't hurt either. I made a good first impression, I guess.

7. SField

SField Senior member

I agree with this [​IMG]

Most people I know go so far as to hire someone for convenience. They just want someone to cook and it doesn't need to be spectacular

Maybe she'll ask for an all salad menu

But really...you think $50k is too much? Not comparing it to a restaurant I think it is too little unless he's a sous chef in someone's home

In his case I think living expenses and very modest pay are absolutely fine.

8. impolyt_one

Was having a personal funny; went to my friend's family's house in London one time (Indian people) and the guy had a white butler answer the door for me. Went inside a cousin was betting like 200 grand a head on a premier league match against his middle eastern friend...

though I think I would hire a butler for $100 a day....

9. CouttsClient

Being young and fit certainly may have helped. That I was wearing a suit didn't hurt either. I made a good first impression, I guess.
    Makes sense

10. impolyt_one

CouttsClient, do you have a driver? May I ask what you think a driver should make, on average?

11. CouttsClient

In his case I think living expenses and very modest pay are absolutely fine.

But that's the thing. I think $50k is modest. At the very least he should ask her what she is comfortable paying and go from there. No need to undercut the market

12. SField

SField Senior member

But that's the thing. I think $50k is modest. At the very least he should ask her what she is comfortable paying and go from there. No need to undercut the market

Eh I think for what he wants out of this, lowered expectations are ok. It's better to over perform... he'll have pocket money and a place in the city. I think $700 a week for someone getting free rent in a top flight building with very little responsibility at his age is amazing, not to mention that he might be able to do his gallery work as well.

Sometimes the opportunity itself and the resulting life experience is worth more than the money, and I think asking for more and making it a very formal arrangement will shit on that a bit.

13. CouttsClient

CouttsClient, do you have a driver? May I ask what you think a driver should make, on average?
    Currently I don't but I'm looking for one now. $45k is fairly average. $60k will get you someone dependable and with good experience. $75k-$80k will get you someone with personal protection/defensive driver training

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You're going to get him hired as a man slave in no time.

15. CouttsClient

Eh I think for what he wants out of this, lowered expectations are ok. It's better to over perform... he'll have pocket money and a place in the city. I think $700 a week for someone getting free rent in a top flight building with very little responsibility at his age is amazing, not to mention that he might be able to do his gallery work as well.

Sometimes the opportunity itself and the resulting life experience is worth more than the money, and I think asking for more and making it a very formal arrangement will shit on that a bit.

Ok. I'll side with you here because I don't really know his circumstances all that well and it could be a once in a lifetime thing. I would caution him though to remember that it is a job and often the scope of work tends to grow very rapidly