• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working as a private chef

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
this is almost as good as Green Frog's "should I least a $60,000 car right out of college". Green's post a few days later was "Fuuuck this is costing me way more than I really had hoped".

I imagine a similar outcome here, sans the whole college thing.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
this is almost as good as Green Frog's "should I least a $60,000 car right out of college". Green's post a few days later was "Fuuuck this is costing me way more than I really had hoped".

I imagine a similar outcome here, sans the whole college thing.

Except that this could be funny and make for an interesting few months.

I mean jesus christ how many of you that every succeeded at anything didn't ever take a job you were hopelessly under qualified for? I know I did, in food no less. What's the downside to this? The worst that can happen is a pretty funny story of him getting kicked out on his ass, or having some sort of hilariously complicated relationship with this woman. How many kids get to live in a situation beyond the comprehension of most of the people in their sphere, rent free in NYC with ample time to do other things etc... I think nothing could really go wrong. If he sucks, she fires him. Big ******* deal.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
What don't you agree with? I'm not asking in a confrontational manner, I just think that you're one of the only people here who actually has a ******* clue on this subject.
I agree with most of what you say. I remember working a cooking demonstration for 50 people or so and having a "private chef" demand to help out for a bit. She was frighteningly bad. I thought she was going to take her hand off with her knife. So yeah, they suck in large part in my experience. Still, if I was served what mm makes and told it was from a private chef, I would laugh for two days. I don't know how to say it in a nicer way than that, and I give him a lot of credit for learning. He is getting better. I just don't believe in taking on a responsibility if you don't have the skills. That's different from going into something you aren't ready for, because usually you start with little responsibility. That's great. I did that several times in my life. That said, I was laughing at the whole experience schtick. Making food that has to be edible is different from cooking for yourself or your family. You can't just order pizza if it sucks.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You're absolutely right. I would definitely tell you NOT to go to culinary school. But I wouldn't advise you to take a job as a private chef if you really wanted to become a chef one day. I'd tell you to start cooking at a decent restaurant and to stage every goddamned day you had off at a nicer one until one of the nicer ones finally offered you a job. I feel like a lot of private chefs stagnate, or become stuck in their ways, and that it isn't a very good path to "Chefdom." But like I said, you're young and you can cook, so why not take the job.

That's just it. I don't want to become a chef one day. At least I'm almost sure I won't. Cooking for me is a hobby and outlet, and at least with this, I will still be able to work in a somewhat leisurely manner. I feel like you sacrifice that when you work on the line. And some people enjoy that rush. I, on the other hand, like to take my time and work at my own pace.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Except that this could be funny and make for an interesting few months.

I mean jesus christ how many of you that every succeeded at anything didn't ever take a job you were hopelessly under qualified for? I know I did, in food no less. What's the downside to this? The worst that can happen is a pretty funny story of him getting kicked out on his ass, or having some sort of hilariously complicated relationship with this woman. How many kids get to live in a situation beyond the comprehension of most of the people in their sphere, rent free in NYC with ample time to do other things etc... I think nothing could really go wrong. If he sucks, she fires him. Big ******* deal.

THis is so right...
bigstar[1].gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
That's just it. I don't want to become a chef one day. At least I'm almost sure I won't. Cooking for me is a hobby and outlet, and at least with this, I will still be able to work in a somewhat leisurely manner. I feel like you sacrifice that when you work on the line. And some people enjoy that rush. I, on the other hand, like to take my time and work at my own pace.

I know you don't want to be a chef. That's why I said take the job. So take it. And remember to post the inevitable lulz on here.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
THis is so right...
bigstar[1].gif

Yeah, virtually no down side to this. There wont even be a paper trail.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
this is almost as good as Green Frog's "should I least a $60,000 car right out of college". Green's post a few days later was "Fuuuck this is costing me way more than I really had hoped". I imagine a similar outcome here, sans the whole college thing.
God damn it Gomey. You beat me to it!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
Ouch, Matt.
What? I was trying to be nice. I think you are doing fine, but if you are doing something professionally, you get judged by professional standards.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
if I was served what mm makes and told it was from a private chef, I would laugh for two days.

Man, I really want to see the food the private chefs you know of make. Growing up in NYC especially, most of the private chefs I know would have had their asses kicked my rachel ray. My french nanny could cook better than all of them and I once saw her use an old copy Escoffier to pound a piece of meat.

If this arrangement is as informal as it seems, I'm sure he can do it just fine. He's basically her cook, and if she hires him, it's obviously to her taste.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
The fact that she's willing to hire him without ever having tasted his food is as worrisome as his lack of experience.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What? I was trying to be nice. I think you are doing fine, but if you are doing something professionally, you get judged by professional standards.

I agree, but man I wish I could show you some of the **** I've seen done by "professionals."

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
The fact that she's willing to hire him without ever having tasted his food is as worrisome as his lack of experience.

+1

This tells me what her standards are likely to be. I think she'll be quite pleased, and he'll get some more practice.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 This tells me what her standards are likely to be. I think she'll be quite pleased, and he'll get some more practice.
Hmm...you might be on to something How someone hires a cook without having them cook is very strange. MGM, are you gorgeous?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads