1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Workhorse (untucked) CASUAL SHORT SLEEVE shirt ......for summer?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, May 22, 2013.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

2. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Almost anything that RL makes for the Polo line looks good untucked. From the Oxford-cloth button-down shirts to the golf shirts to the regular dress shirts with MOP buttons.

Going untucked is a context-driven thing even though posters are going to say it looks sloppy. I'll add that there are times when one shouldn't look "put together". I'm talking about going to the barbecue joint, the baseball game, the post-game wings thing. You don't always have to look "neat" to look good. Untucked under a casual unstructured sportcoat can be done quite well.

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Chambray or linen with a shorter shirt tail that's meant to be worn untucked will look fine with the sleeves rolled up.

You could also wear those same two shirts tucked in with the sleeves rolled and they'd look fine as long as the rest of the outfit matched.

RL custom fit polos are another solid option.

4. Loudly

Loudly Senior member

Lacoste or Avon Celli polos, depending on how likely they are to get wrecked/spilled on.

5. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

To clarify, the untucked context is

• Summer
    • 95 degree heat
    • Weekend beach house.
    • Not the office or the nightclub.
    • Shoes optional.

And the shirt has a very short tail, and is not much longer than a T-shirt.

Also, I am not a fan of polos, even fitted ones.

Can you guys post links to the button down SS shirts you referenced?

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  6. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Great call at $40.
    I'm getting a few of these.
    http://www.landsend.com/ix/canvas/C...=1~1~1~1&store=le&cm_re=CV-_-men-_-tab-042613

Like this?
    http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-short-sleeve-lightweight-chambray-shirt~250532_-1.html

Where?
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/mens/men,default,sc.html

7. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

8. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

What about camp shirts. That's not camp as in 'oh hello ducky', camp as in soft collared, straight bottom, like bowling shirts. Meant to be worn untucked and perfect for summer heat.

9. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

10. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

2 fat guys? One reviewer says he's 6'2" 180 lbs. Doesn't sound "fat" to me. And wouldn't one's height be more of an issue in regard to shirt length than weight? :facepalm:

Reev, the shit you get around here is well deserved.

11. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Sean's had a camp collar in that scene (Largo's long sleeved shirt did too).

Same with the also short sleeved, pink gingham shirt he wore on the beach with Domino.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

really? I find RL shirts very roomy, and I'm not exactly svelte. and wearing a sc over a short sleeved shirt doesn't feel nor look right imo...

and to answer the op- a slim cut linen in solid color or madras plaid shirts are my choice.

14. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Long-sleeved shirt with a sportcoat, but otherwise untucked. You're right about some of the Polo stuff being roomy, but you have to play around with the sizes. For example, I have a few poplin/Oxford button-down shirts that are sized the same but don't fit the same. And the shirt that fits me best is, I think from the '90s. It's sized a 15.5, and by the tape I'm a 16.5 with a 44" chest. Yet it fits me perfectly. Outside of the Purple Label line, that's been my experience with Polo: their Large isn't for a guy with broad shoulders; it's for a guy with a gut.

And you can always have things tailored.

15. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

That's precisely the context I'd do it in. Requiring a workhorse for this implies you spend far more time at the beach house than myself. Kudos.

:facepalm:

16. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

17. White Lotus

White Lotus Senior member

unless you want to look like a goof ball tucking in short sleeve shirts is a big N.O. Its already bad as it is when the sleeves of the shirts are too long.