• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work xmas party (black suit black shirt?)

dztt

Reaction score
I have my work xmas party next weekend. It is business professional attire. I really only own one suit, shirt, tie combo (what i wore last year). The suit is black. I haven't had a reason to own another suit. Anyway I wanted to get a new shirt and tie as to not wear the same thing again this year. I picked up a black shirt and red stripped tie this past weekend because i thought it looked really good together. That being said I am now reconsidering thinking the black shirt with a black suit might be too much and am not sure i can pull it off. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks

i think i have a picture attached to this post

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dztt
I have my work xmas party next weekend. It is business professional attire. I really only own one suit, shirt, tie combo (what i wore last year). The suit is black. I haven't had a reason to own another suit. Anyway I wanted to get a new shirt and tie as to not wear the same thing again this year. I picked up a black shirt and red stripped tie this past weekend because i thought it looked really good together. That being said I am now reconsidering thinking the black shirt with a black suit might be too much and am not sure i can pull it off. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. thanks i think i have a picture attached to this post
I don't like black shirts with a black jacket unless the pants are a different color. If you're set on wearing that, I would wear it without the tie. I would invest in some more clothing if you only own one dress shirt and tie. Is buying another shirt an option?

dztt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I don't like black shirts with a black jacket unless the pants are a different color. If you're set on wearing that, I would wear it without the tie.

I would invest in some more clothing if you only own one dress shirt and tie. Is buying another shirt an option?

Yes buying another shirt is an option. Any suggestions?

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black suit black shirt, you'll end up looking like the wait staff. Get another shirt.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Very high school prom. How is it that you don't own a single white shirt?

dztt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Very high school prom. How is it that you don't own a single white shirt?

I do own a white shirt. I have to wear business casual to work and haven't interviewed for a job in 6+ years. I've had no reason to own formal clothing.

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
Are you a ninja? If not, then I would definitely ditch the black shirt.

jagmqt

Reaction score
If you are a ninja...that's super!

If look like this guy, go for the black/black...

st_Clooney_narrowweb__300x347,0.jpg

If not, I would follow the other posters suggestions and use a white shirt with the tie...

jag

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shirt black suit? If you have to ask.... no. It's a pretty terrible look that is fantastic .00001% of the time.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dztt
I do own a white shirt. I have to wear business casual to work and haven't interviewed for a job in 6+ years. I've had no reason to own formal clothing.
I'd wear the white shirt. I'm not a fan of dark dress shirts.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Almost anything looks good if the items fit you very well. Not so much if it's a frumpy suit, cheap tie and cheap, baggy shirt.

If the items fit, I would just wear the black shirt and black suit. Or you could return the shirt and get something in powder blue, pink or lavendar (when i say powder I mean it should be quite light in color). Let this be a lesson that black suits (in my valued opinion) are pretty lame for this reason.

Black shirt would look a lot better with a grey or blue suit.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't pay too much attention to all the black suit hatred here. It's a sort of automatic reaction on sf. For a party (which presumably will be in the evening), a black suit is perfectly appropriate.

Black suit and black shirt can work but, as others have noted, good fit is even more essential than normal. Any chance you could post a pic of you wearing the suit and shirt?

In any case, I would strongly recommend against wearing the tie with that combo - it doesn't go with them and the look is far better tie-less imho.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Ditch the tie and if you really want to be on the safe side wear a white shirt. Pink also works well.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you propose will look dreadful. Wear a white shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads