• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work World is Depressing

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just recently graduated University and entered the work world, and after only a few months I'm already so tired of the monotonous routine. Wake up-eat-goto work-eat-goto gym-eat-sleep with hours of wasted time on forums embedded between.

Weekends are pretty good, but how do I stay lively during the week...how am I supposed to handle this for the next 40 years? What do I look forward to next??

Anyone else feel this way?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, at least you got a job with a computer...
frown.gif
plain.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's really this boring and depressing so quickly, perhaps you're in the wrong line of work. It can be surprising how a person thinks they hate working until they find a job they really like, and then they actually enjoy working. I have a friend who's a CPA and does almost nothing but check over financial documents for a huge investment/banking firm, and he loves it. I'd be bored into cardiac arrest within a day.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep, not gonna get better. Life sux bra.

imschatz

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that life as a junior employee blows. Hopefully with experience comes more responsiblity and more variation in the work day. If it's really that bad .. do what I do .. play minesweeper .. Beat expert in 387 seconds, hoping to have it under 300 by the end of the summer.

At least you got a job, and aren't sitting at home playing playstation all day wondering why you weren't just given the keys to an office and a 6 figure income when they gave you your degree.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Start collecting suits and shoes. It's all you can do now.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
grow up.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Don't worry, you'll probably be able to retire in forty or fifty years. Imagine that, you're in your early twenties and you'll be working for twice as long as you've lived so far. Isn't that awesome?!

Enjoy!

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I'm starting my career on August 16th, until then I am doing accounts payable (pretty much data entry), so it's definitely not the most entertaining work. Mind you the general consensus from a lot of my friends at work is that they hate it, and almost everyone is going to pursue further education, most of which currently work in accounting though..

My career is being an engineer, though I never really enjoyed the degree itself, I'm hoping the work will be different - but I'm not too optimistic. I'm also pretty nervous about what they expect from me as a new hire, I don't feel like my technical skills are up to par (didn't enjoy my schooling much, just did what I had to do to get by).

What kind of work do you guys do?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
give up and become resentful of those who are not yet working, and just tell people to 'grow up' when they ask why working sucks as a blanket response that absolves you of the need to actually think about how ****** your life has become

ftfy

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Dude, at least you got a job with a computer...
frown.gif
plain.gif

Yeah, that's true man, it definitely could be worse.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
I've come to the conclusion that life as a junior employee blows. Hopefully with experience comes more responsiblity and more variation in the work day. If it's really that bad .. do what I do .. play minesweeper .. Beat expert in 387 seconds, hoping to have it under 300 by the end of the summer.

At least you got a job, and aren't sitting at home playing playstation all day wondering why you weren't just given the keys to an office and a 6 figure income when they gave you your degree.

Yeah, I got pretty lucky, lots of my friends are still looking for jobs, so I AM happy about that...but lots of them are traveling now I almost feel like I missed that boat going right into University after high school and then right into the working world.

Retire by 30 maybe?
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads