• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work when you were 18

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
Tutoring is seriously the best thing ever, if you can teach.

+1

i do it part time right now and it's quite satisfying. i look forward to work.

when i was 18 i worked at a grocery store + coached a middle school soccer team.

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
data entry - holy **** this was the most menial, mind-numbing job ever created. Sat on ****** for 8 hours a day and 10-keyed the value of a check into their corresponding accounts. Went through a couple thousand checks a day. I believe robots or some sort of self-feeding scanner does this these days rendering manual data entry an antiquity.

after school tutoring - This job was awesome. $15/hr under the table to shady tax-eschewing chinese people who ran the joint. Worked at Kumon (japanese tutoring chain) to teach algebra to over-achieving 2nd grade asian kids.
- It was pretty weird having just learned calculus a year or two before and having to teach middle school kids the same thing.
- looking back, I realized my middle-aged married boss (who wore braces and had bad breath) used to hit on me all the time but I was just too naive to realize it. I guess it could be called sexual harassment these days.

Half Honky

Reaction score
I went to a public boarding school that made students work in order to "give back to the community for our education" or something to that nature...so during high school I worked in the school coffee shop, the math department, cafeteria, and mail room.

Last summer I worked at J.Crew and I agree that working clothing retail sucks ass, although the 50% discount on shirts was nice. I also worked at a university Japan Center as a receptionist-type person, but it was volunteer work and mostly so I could add it to my study abroad application.

This summer I've get to help poison the American population at a tobacco store in a mall...I know the manager there and I'll be making 9 bucks an hour mostly watching movies on a laptop and talking bullshit all day, while occassionally selling a cigar or two. As a bonus the manager is a couple years ahead of me studying the same stuff, so he can actually help me with any summer school crap I bring with me.

DicDictionary

Reaction score

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
indoorCricket.jpg

At the back there is a white scoreboard, next to that is an umpire...I did that job for $10 a game when I was 14 or 15.

X-It

Reaction score
I worked part time as a waitress in a restaurant in Amsterdam.

DicDictionary

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
indoorCricket.jpg

At the back there is a white scoreboard, next to that is an umpire...I did that job for $10 a game when I was 14 or 15.

Damn I feel stupid right now, I realized I read "cricket" as "croquet."

BYucko

Reaction score
Oh gosh, I need a job that is 'a step above' cashier as well.

A lot of folk who quit Safeway or whatever are looking to go to somewhere like Future Shop, where the commision is supposedly good. I don't know, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked at a deli shop for a few summers and at a couple of warehouses for 2 summers. Warehouse work in Houston during the summer blows.

Nonk

Reaction score
I had already been in the Army 2 years by that age and was serving on operations in Northern Ireland.

Not that I am advocating that as a serious choice for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics