• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work shoes beyond AE Park Avenue

mikeway2000

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a recent grad who currently has 2 allen edmonds shoes, one in black and one in dark brown. Alas, however, as everyone at my foreign-based firm only seems to wear black shoes.
My black is Park Avenue, and I LOVE the fit and the elongated look. The dark brown is Dryden I got for cheap.
I'm looking for something with similar overall elongated elegant shape as the PA w/ some detail differences to highlight that I don't wear the same pair everyday (but is still very appropriate for work).

What would be the best bet for my next pair: a blutcher, a perf balmoral, or maybe even a non-cap toe?

I'm looking into AE or C&J from Plal, and I would appreciate model names as you make your suggestions. I am a bit sensitive to cost (<$500), but much more so to overall shoe shape. Thank you in advance for your input.
BTW, for my fourth shoes, I'd like to get the C&J Saville or Malvern. Would it be more prudent to wait until my collection grows a bit larger to add a monk?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the AE Strand?
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...val=&Widthval=

Meets most, if not all of your criteria:
-available in black
-same Allen Edmonds #5 last = should provide same fit and overall shape as your Park Avenue
-enough brogueing and punching to set it apart from your Park Avenue
-$325

rilian

Reaction score
I considered going for the Park Avenue's for first my first dress shoes, but when I went to go look at them at Nordstrom's they looked a little two bulky and chunky/high to me. Some people on the forums suggested Martegani which can be found on eBay. I haven't seen them in person, though. In photos, they look much sleeker, with a lower profile, than AE Park Avenues. I'm still new to shoes, but I'd personally go for a cap-toed blucher. It seems versatile enough to work with jeans or dress pants. I have my eyes on these, though I haven't seen them in person:
399H_Black_enlarged.jpg
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...uct_Id=1211435 Let us know what you decide on! And post pics!

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would not do a cap-toe blucher. Maybe a punch cap or a semi-brogue bal tho.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Cap-toe bluchers are worse than useless. For cap-toe dress shoes, stick with balmorals.

rilian

Reaction score
Can you give an explanation why cap-toe bluchers are a no-no? What's a punch cap? Does it mean that holes are punched into the shoe in pattern to resemble a cap-toe? Sorry for the naivete.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If you like the look of the Park Avenues, try to track down a pair of the now defunct Fifth Avenues. NOS pairs come up sometimes on ebay, etc. Of course, that's not an option you can bank on.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rilian
Can you give an explanation why cap-toe bluchers are a no-no? What's a punch cap? Does it mean that holes are punched into the shoe in pattern to resemble a cap-toe? Sorry for the naivete.

Cap toe is fairly formal while the blucher is fairly informal. I have perf cap toe brown bluchers that I think are fine for sport coats and blazers, but I would probably not wear them with a navy or charcoal suit.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
If you like the look of the Park Avenues, try to track down a pair of the now defunct Fifth Avenues. NOS pairs come up sometimes on ebay, etc. Of course, that's not an option you can bank on.

The Hale is also worth looking at from AE.

cvac

Reaction score
Try to find the discontinued AE Byron - punch cap bal at the Shoe Bank. They should still have some in Chili brown.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Cap toe is fairly formal while the blucher is fairly informal. I have perf cap toe brown bluchers that I think are fine for sport coats and blazers, but I would probably not wear them with a navy or charcoal suit.

I think plain toe bluchers would go well with suit.

raphael

Reaction score
If you like the AE park avenues (I do too) you'll love the Ferragamo Bruce.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So what are you wearing to work each day? Suits? I'd guess some folks are providing answers based on that assumption, while others may not be.

As for captoe bluchers, I don't see anything wrong with them for casual wear. They have a natural affinity with khakis, having a shared military heritage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics