• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work Out/Diet Advice

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

so. I have just started getting back into the gym after several months of slacking off.

I am just under 6 ft and I weight 235 pounds (approx). I'm a former wrestler/lacrosse player and semi-avid weightlifter so I have a fairly big build.

To give you an idea of my workouts, here is what I did today (the exercises were done in a circuit)
10 Minute precor cardio warm up
4 sets of 15 reps of squats with 135 pounds
4 sets of 15 pushups (with pushup bars)
4 sets of 12 lat pull downs (100 pounds each arm)
5 minute pre cor cool down

after I ate two pieces of grilled chicken/spinach/and a baked yam.

I am looking to be semi-lean (within reason based on my genetics and body type) and in overall better shape.

any suggestions on a work out routine to use?
I am enjoying the squats as I've never really worked out legs before.

any advice/opinions are appreciated.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a pro by any means, but my opinion is:

Up the weight on squats, reduce reps.

Do dumbbell press instead of pushups.

Do pull-ups/weighted pull-ups instead of lat pulldowns

Add deadlifts, bro.

virus646

Reaction score
Just do Starting strenght by Rippetoe or a 5x5 beginner routine by Bill Star to get back on track. Get enough proteins, eat well enough and drink a lot of water. If you want to cut, plan a 1-2 lbs loss per week. Play a little bit with your diet to see what works for you and what doesn't. Don't overcomplicate it and enjoy it!

Edit: Oh, and squat is the ****. Be sure to learn the proper form and you'll start enjoying it even more.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How have you been a wrestler and lacrosse player and never worked legs?

Do you have a target weight in mind? semi-lean like 12/13% bf?

Avoid the machines like lat-pulldowns and get to pull ups.... 4x15 pushups won't get you anywhere... add DL/RDL.

Given what you ate after your workout you know how to eat lean and your wrestler lifestyle probably helped that. But get in to a program/routine that works for you and take care of the calories and results should fall into place. If they don't, reevaluate and try again.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
I always had strong legs and with wrestling and lacrosse did plenty of running/sprints so I never worked out legs with weights. I guess the culture I was in was more about looks so I wanted a big upper body. who knows.

I'm going to buy starting strength.

RJ what is DL/RDL?

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deadlifts, romanian deadlifts

virus646

Reaction score
Starting strength is a great book. Good choice.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scivation's "Diet Solution" is a pretty easy to understand distillation of a typical cut/lean mass maintenance approach similar to a number of bodybuilder diets focused on protein and fats with timed carbs.

Download the EBook.

Sounds like you're somewhat in a similar habit now. I find this approach plus the right amount of cardio and lifting big works well for my metabolism.

ronmill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Not a pro by any means, but my opinion is:

Up the weight on squats, reduce reps.

Do dumbbell press instead of pushups.

Do pull-ups/weighted pull-ups instead of lat pulldowns

Add deadlifts, bro.

I agree. Ditch the pushups, you can do those at home during commercial breaks or something.
One day of deadlifts can bring results. That's how beneficial they are.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
starting strength. 1-1.5g protein / lb bodyweight. less starch, more vegetables, and eat under/at/above maintenance depending on your goals.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
ok cool guys. thanks. jesus, I am gunna have to up my protein intake. over the past few weeks I have been increasing my veggie/fruit intake, but I still eat a shitload of bread (rye/whole wheat). gunna have to ditch that. in order to get that protein level I think I'll need some kind of supplement. what If i don't really want to gain a ton of muscle? just burn fat and get what I have in shape? still 1-1.5 g of protein? **** that's like 350 grams of protein. I wouldn't be surprised if I ate like maybe 100 grams a day.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
starting strength. 1-1.5g protein / lb bodyweight. less starch, more vegetables, and eat under/at/above maintenance depending on your goals.

1.2-1.6 g/kg is the max needed, not per lb. I mean, if you go over via diet it doesn't matter, but if you're paying through the nose for whey, it doesn't help you to just piss out the extra amines.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
1.2-1.6 g/kg is the max needed, not per lb. I mean, if you go over via diet it doesn't matter, but if you're paying through the nose for whey, it doesn't help you to just piss out the extra amines.
no sorry one gram of protein requires ~25 calories to burn one gram of carbs/fat requires ~5 calories to burn if you're trying to lose weight and bodyfat, what should you eat? not to mention if youre trying to progress with weights, good luck eating 1.2g/kg

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
no sorry one gram of protein requires ~25 calories to burn one gram of carbs/fat requires ~5 calories to burn if you're trying to lose weight and bodyfat, what should you eat? not to mention if youre trying to progress with weights, good luck eating 1.2g/kg
What? 1 gram of protein provides 4 kcal, same with carbs. 1 gram of fat provides 9. unless you're referring to something else in which case I legitimately don't understand your point. And power athletes don't see any adverse affects with under 1.6 g/kg - Endurance athletes need 1.2 g/kg. Now, your whey protein probably has a psychological effect too, but not a real one. Note that I said that 1.4 (as an average) is the max needed. If you're over, don't worry about it, just stop taking supplements to save money. Edit: Just found a study saying 1.8 as an upper useful limit in terms of building muscle... still less than the 2.2 to 3.3 you recommend. Actually, lets look at this. One can gain about 2lb muscle(pure muscle, not LBM)/month - in other words, 900 grams of muscle. Taking half of the daily intake as maintenance, that's still (for a 100 kilo guy like OP) 80 grams excess/day - so in 11 days he has enough protein surplus to build a months worth of muscle. Obviously, it doesn't exactly work like this but my model is by no means impossible. Edit 2: got endurance and power backwards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads