• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work during college: how much is too much?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Conne...youre doing a poli sci degree. It is pretty much impossible to fall behind in that. Take the job.

+1

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be a contrarian too. I don't know what school you're going to or what you want to do afterwards but unless you desperately need the money I'd say focus on other things. I worked part time in school, in retrospect I think that time would have been better spent studying, networking, etc. I'd gladly exchange the few thousand I made working for a better gpa / better job now. Especially if you're a junior I would start devoting a big portion of my free time towards finding an internship.

In the end the money you make in school will pale in comparison to what you make afterwards -- focus on maximizing the latter.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FFS people, it's only for 40 days.

Put it in perspective a bit.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
I'll be a contrarian too. I don't know what school you're going to or what you want to do afterwards but unless you desperately need the money I'd say focus on other things. I worked part time in school, in retrospect I think that time would have been better spent studying, networking, etc. I'd gladly exchange the few thousand I made working for a better gpa / better job now. Especially if you're a junior I would start devoting a big portion of my free time towards finding an internship.

In the end the money you make in school will pale in comparison to what you make afterwards -- focus on maximizing the latter.

I would argue that the job would be an exceptionally easy way to start networking (especially in a new environment) and may lead to internships, etc. down the road.

At worst, it would help to increase a person's ability to manage time and force that person to boost his/her work ethic (hypothetically speaking...not necessarily referring to Conne in this particular case).

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like you've been in college for 10 years now. It's time to move on.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I feel like you've been in college for 10 years now. It's time to move on.

This forum has only existed for about 6 years.

I know what you mean though-- I think he just has a multitude of painfully idiotic stories.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should write a tell-all about my school days. "Conne Does College" or something.

Re: the calls to focus on an internship...this is a political gig and I've been told that I'm all but guaranteed a Hill internship next fall. The job is a resume padder, or at least a solid opportunity for a 20 year old looking toward the future.

Its a somewhat physical job, but I guess that's what young bodies are meant for.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I should write a tell-all about my school days. "Conne Does College" or something.

Re: the calls to focus on an internship...this is a political gig and I've been told that I'm all but guaranteed a Hill internship next fall. The job is a resume padder, or at least a solid opportunity for a 20 year old looking toward the future.

Its a somewhat physical job, but I guess that's what young bodies are meant for.

Stop wasting time in this thread and update Connie's Restaurant. I don't want to hear from you until that's taken care of.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to work. Work can actually help make you happy.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Take the job. If you can't do those hours and keep a 3.8 in a poly sci program, save us all time and money and just find a rich old broad to marry now.

I just got a D in a poli sci class (or i'm assuming that's what i got). I read about 75 of 600 pages. I hated that class so much i couldn't stand to read the boring-ass text book. I also didn't bother with the first assignment, which was marsupialed and pointless. I actually sat down to write it one day but couldn't bring myself to focus. I was never able to read more than a couple pages at a time without wanting to **** my wrists. I can't remember the last time i had such a strong dislike for a class i was taking. Organic 2 was a million times more fun. Christ, even spectroscopy was better.

SenorMatador

Reaction score

Take it and run with it. You will make so many connections, and it will only help you in the future.

You working at the state house?

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by SenorMatador
Take it and run with it. You will make so many connections, and it will only help you in the future.

You working at the state house?

ewwwwwwww

pruppert

Reaction score
Agreed on the importance of your major. As an architecture major, I think I'd struggle to find a way to work and get everything else done.

That said, I know people who manage. If your classes are easy GE's it's almost stupid not to work. I'd say give it a shot and see how it goes. It's not like your life depends on keeping the job (does it?). Better to get any work out of the way in Fall/Winter when you aren't antsy to get outside for the first time in months.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm actually a history major. I've been considering a double major in his/poli sci, only because everyone asks me if I plan on teaching when I inform them of my major choice.
rimshot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads