• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work dinner -- WTF does 60's cocktail chic mean?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new employer is having a big sales meeting at a fancy place. One night is a "special" night where we are told to dress in "60's cocktail chic" attire.

The theme of the meeting was "Mad Men" and we are going to a pretty nice art deco place. Now, keep in mind Im only 26 and dont have a nice, slim Mad Men suit on hand. What is acceptable to wear that I might have on hand, can thrift or is reasonable and adaptable to purchase?

Im the new guy so I need to impress...

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get a thrift store suit and get the pants tapered and the jacket taken in, should cost you less than 100 bucks for all that. Or pick up a thick as thieves suit. Dont forget the skinny tie (with tie bar of course).

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
get a thrift store suit and get the pants tapered and the jacket taken in, should cost you less than 100 bucks for all that. Or pick up a thick as thieves suit. Dont forget the skinny tie (with tie bar of course).

This event is happening in a week. While I desire a TaT suit I dont have the time/money for that at the moment and Im afraid a tailor might not have the time. And when will I wear a thrifted suit again anyways?

Any good recommendations on where to get a reasonable skinny tie/tie bar

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pPOLO2-4925785_lifestyle_v330.jpg

RLBL on sale for $90 from the website, probably less expensive in the store.

3" wide, so its skinny but not soo much that you'll never wear it again.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Thrift stores are usually full of skinney ties, even Penneys has them now.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sure you can get something that would be useful at H&M or Zara, or look for maybe a Ben Sherman at Ross or Marshalls.

You can certainly thrift a 60s suit or at least coat, I usually see one or two when I'm out, but frankly there's nothing you can just decide to get, head to the thrift store and buy. That's the nature of thrift stores.

BABuckeye

Reaction score
I suspect 60s cocktail chic means dress like you're on the set of the TV show Madmen. If you can't afford a TaT suit, or a RLBL suit, then try H&M for a thin lapel suit. Wear a white dress shirt and a thin tie. You can get a skinny tie (on sale) from many places, like Ralph Lauren (look in the Black label area), Brooks Brothers (look in the Black Fleece area), thrift stores, and others. Get your shoes shined (and don't wear square toed shoes) and add some pomade to your hair and you'll look just lik ethe characters on the TV show!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Target has (at least online) a narrow lapel, charcoal wool sharkskin Merona suit with flat front trousers for $149.98 total.

41RixHWeh4L._AA400_.jpg

A guy with modest means can do far worse.

I wouldn't accessorize as in the photograph.

- B

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously -- he gave you a week's notice to prepare for this?

He's probably been planning this event in his head since he was 15 and just wants to outdo everyone. Show up in rags and prostrate and you won't even have to go down on him for the promotion.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do invitations have such incredibly stupid dress requirements these days? I'm forever reminded of Seinfeld. GEORGE: Hey, she wants me to dress "smart casual." What is that? JERRY: I don't know, but you don't have it. I hate people.
plain.gif

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
He's probably been planning this event in his head since he was 15 and just wants to outdo everyone..

madmen has been on for 2 years...

Crooow

Reaction score
I wouldn't get too worked up about going out and trying to acquire a new outfit. As has been said, wear a white shirt and skinny tie under your suit, shine your shoes and your hair (slick look), and just go with it. It will probably be more about your attitude than anything.

In fact, to show that you are totally into it, make sure to smack a lot of female ass while calling them doll.
boxing[1].gif

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, bring some cigarettes in a carrying case and bring a dupont lighter also. Tell all the dames that they have nice stems. Do a lot of ass pinching too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads