• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work Boots: Safety Toes for a CM Snowflake?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
As a man who wears a tie to work most days, and has been known to don a worsted three-piece in over 120F as a matter of principle, my shoe choices are usually on the formal side: plenty of colour here and there, but I'm essentially an oxfords man for work, the odd derby at the end of the week, and sports shoes to me means spectators. This will not be an unfamiliar refrain to many of you uptight pocket square fiddlers.

I am also something of a boot fetishist. I buy a lot. I love to look at them, in person, online, I make Pinterest boards, bore my wife with specifications, imagine wonderful new designs. Boots bring me joy. But not today.

Today, I was told to pick up some "safety boots" for a meeting on a development site owned by my current client. I simply will not wear such a horror as I have seen this day. Perhaps I will get away with non-safety boots from my ever-nurtured collection. Otherwise, I shall buy my own.

So, at last to the point: someone, somewhere, must make beautiful safety boots. They can, perhaps inevitably will, be casual. But they must be lovely. I'm picturing a medium height boot - 8-10 eyelets, with its composite or steel cap resembling nothing more offensive than a Budapester, perhaps de-emphasised by a plain toe, and camouflaged with a rustic scotchgrain? Too much?

Who makes safety shoes that one would be happy to wear? Who can courier a pair to me in the Middle East by end of Sunday? Or at worst, as a longer-term investment, does anyone make to order?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear proper safety boots and close your eyes when you touch them. They will NEVER be elegant, that is not their function. When your foot has been crushed you can repent at leisure and cast wistful eyes at your collection when they can't be worn with your prosthetic.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yes yes...I will also wear my very attractive hard hat and high-vis vest. About those I can do nothing. But, proper boots with a composite toe. No? Really?

Quesjac

Reaction score
I faintly remember seeing the item you're describing, although I can't get far with a quick google. I think your best bet is steel toed chelsea boots. They won't be elegant, exactly, but they will at least look like proper shoes, and you'll still have your current number of digits if someone drops a hammer.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yeah, there are quite a few elastic-sided safety boots around. But I don't mind big old laced up boot-boots a bit. What I do mind are the weird-shaped plastic moulded soles, the massive logos and colourful inserts...all that stuff. Of course, I'm exaggerating; some are perfectly OK, especially from the well-known makers: Timberland, Wolverine, Georgia Boot, etc...but...I'm sure there is better out there:

This. Is. Classic. Menswear.

Let me rephrase: does anyone know a maker of good-looking country boots that also offers composite or steel toes? I seem to remember a Vass price list with steel toes as an extra option, but I can't find it now. Anyone ever try?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure that "country boots" would come with safety features. Was some enterprising manufacturer trying to pass safety boots of for use in the country?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'm not sure you understood the question. This is a thread about boots, in the classic menswear section of the Style Forum. The question is whether one or more of the myriad makers of beautiful high-quality welted footwear that this side of the forum tends to discuss, make a boot with a reinforced toe. That is all.

I made a notable misjudgement in trying to be witty in my initial post. My fail - never mind!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Haha! Nice effort! To be fair, it's a surprisingly dainty shape considering the purpose. Shame about the plastic though...

I was thinking in a different direction (hence the "country boot" reference), in that nothing is really going to work as a pretend oxford...or probably not. I mean, if you're wearing a luminous yellow vest and a plastic hat, the suit's now pretty much redundant, isn't it? I'm thinking an ankle or mid-height boot - jump boot, walking boot perhaps (though they are often horrific too!), maybe even a pull-on dealer boot or bike boot? Something that looks normal dressed-down.

Of course this is a silly and vain question, but it's Styleforum, isn't it? To ask the question in one more different way: are there boots with actual safety toes out there, that you'd wear just because they're cool boots? Maybe that's a better way to think of it.

The whole Timberland thing is a bit tired these days, though I don't find them unappealing. Just all the kids have them - I even bought some for my son. They're not expensive either. Here are a couple, and alternatives that I've come across, that might make a pretty decent "jeans boot" in their own right:

Timberland: along with CAT I guess these are pretty iconic casual boots these days.
upload_2017-9-28_19-36-19.png

upload_2017-9-28_19-36-36.png

A flashback to my teens - the humble "Docs" - Dr Marten's classic, and a dandier development:

19498.jpg

21741220.jpg

A similar theme to the Timberland's, with a step up in brand quality I think - this from Wolverine:

WBSM-W03513-032315-S16-000-Hero

Maybe this is a little wearable from Georgia Boot Co., and certainly looks like a decent bit of quality. The whole monkey/walking boot thing has taken off a bit again over the last couple of years. Not elegant, but I like the way these hang together:

GB00192_LARGE.jpg

And the lower version looks very easy to wear - perhaps without the contrast laces and kiltie...

GBOT053_LARGE.jpg

You've got to hand it to America for practical boots. I guess they did invent Goodyear welting. But that big outdoors market really takes everything up a notch perhaps? Another big American name in outdoor boots: Chippewa. Now these really are pretty good: shame about the logos, and the ankle cuff is comfortable but aesthetically suspect. Still, I think I'd wear them.

26330-chippewa__08521.1433538147.jpg

And as Chippewa are well-known for these, maybe take it up a hipster notch:

27899-chippewa__21569.1433539234.jpg

Now that is pretty cool. Kind of wish they had them in brown. Well played, 'Murrica.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
But, to go back to the original issue: if Vass do indeed offer safety toe versions of their boots, what wonders could we actually be wearing on a site visit? Imagine:

1180-p2-cordovan_antic_cognac-double_sole-02.jpg

1188-p2-mid_brown_suede-dainite_single_sole-01_0.jpg

1090-p2-bordeaux_calf-single_sole.jpg

I mean, on the Budapester last, with a commando sole...maybe in a scotchgrain?

Sigh. Time for some English bootmakers to step up, perhaps:

herring_bowness_in_tan_calf_and_grain_1.jpg

cheaney_scott_in_almond_grain_and_suede_1.jpg

cheaney_fiennes_in_burgundy_grain_1.jpg

(All made by Cheaney...safety toes not currently available!)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Both Danner and Thorogood make a moc toe safety boot that's not too horribly bulbous. They do shout out "work boot" but at least not "safety boot". I think the Danner branding is up on the ankle so not quite as obvious. The Made in USA label snips right off.
804-4208.jpg

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
That's pretty nice - apart from the sole. Still, if it's welted, it shouldn't be too hard to get a set of lugged Vibrams or whatever on there. Funny you should pick a mocc toe: was just looking at Orvis "Gokey" and their kangaroo "Upland Boots" too, and thinking they should do a safety version. The deep mocc toe design hides the protection well.

These from Thorogood aren't bad either:

Thorogood-Emperor-Composite-Toe-Boot-804-4367-L.jpg

And these mocc toes from Danner are really pretty neat, even with the wedge sole:

Thanks Zippy - nice input!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads