• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Words of wisdom for an edge dressing first-timer? ...

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
About to buy some AE branded edge dressing for my Drydens and Strands. I've read a little about edge dressing but I'm new to it. Any words of wisdom? Or is it as simple as just applying it to the outside edge of the soles, and being careful not to get it on the uppers?

Thanks in advance! ;-)

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't **** up.

goodall

Reaction score
If you get it on the uppers just take some warm water and a rag and wipe it off. Edge dressing is water soluble.

wetnose

Reaction score
Go to home depot and get the blue painter's tape. Carefully apply along the edge of where the leather meets the sole - make sure the leather is completely covered and you're good to go.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't knock over the bottle.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spilled a bottle of dark brown AE edge dressing on the carpet in my bedroom. The little sponge on top was clogged for some reason, so I thought it would be a good idea to take it off, and try to pour a little dressing onto the sponge. I fumbled it and in the end, I ruined a pair of light brown Harris'. Worse (at least from my wife's perspective), it ended up on my cream colored carpet, and the "clean up attempt" ended up only magnifying the size of the stain. I will never live this one down. Later found out that oxiclean does a pretty good job on the carpet. I don't think I've tried to apply edge dressing since.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a careful guy so when I used edge dressing it was no problem. I used Q-tips instead of the dabber since it was smaller. It took longer but worth the time IMO.

On a side note I recently had a pair of boots re-heeled and the cobbler who applied edge dressing got it all over the leather. I was really pissed. The boots were black and the color of the edge dressing was brown. Although it was probably not noticeable to most people, it was a disaster to me. I was able to wipe some of it off with a wet paper towel but only because he also put on a thick coat of black wax on the boots which I would not have done. But still a good amount was still visible on the leather. After a fruitless google search, I decided to sand the stain off the leather with some very fine grain sandpaper that I used to use for plastic model airplanes when I was young. This was quite effective and I took the chance since the boots were not dressy at all and I really could not stand the sloppy workmanship.

So my advice would be... before you take in a pair of expensive shoes to a cobbler, perhaps let him work on a trial pair first. (Just don't let him know that it is a trial)

Also applying painter's tape around the leather soles is great for staining or dyeing the color of the upper leather.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a difference between the water soluble and the oil based. I think oil lasts longer and looks better. It will not come off of the leather.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Don't knock over the bottle.

I did this once. It stained a very nice area rug (with the attendant displeasure of Mrs. Vintage Gent). Thank goodness for Oxyclean, which dispatched the stain in short order. The same area rug was ultimately lost in the hurricane. We got only a splash of water in the back office; still, it soaked the rug, and after sitting for a couple of weeks, the rug developed a snow-white patina of mold.

DandySF

Reaction score
I wish someone had advised me to be very careful when applying edge dressing. On more than one occasion I've managed to get stray dabs on the shoe leather. This is entirely avoidable with a bit of caution and dexterity.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a pretty simple operation. I do it over the laundry sink, where I do all of my polishing, and really wring the dauber out first . An almost dry swab will do an entire shoe. A bottle of edge dressing should last even SF shoe hounds a lifetime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads