1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Words+Bindings - The Fashion Books Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Urthwhyte, Jan 9, 2013.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

METORA by David Marx was just released. Great read on Japans post war fascination with US Ivy Style and how and why things evolved to include preppy and denim/workwear. Excellent background on the evolution of style and quality manufacturing as well as the importance of magazines in promoting certain looks and styles to each generation. Styleforum even gets mentioned in the last chapter or two.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

NeoMarxisme guy? Yeah he's a good social analyst.

I never bothered posting the Montana pics, sorry.,:embar:

Demeulemeester book is definitely recommended.

Non-fashion but much more interesting is The Spirit of District Six by Cloete Breytenbach

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Throwback review:

I recently bought the Margiela Rizzoli book and a Branquinho monograph. Both have white canvas covers, because... designers like white, dammit! The Margiela book uses a collage effect throughout, with most of the editorial content appearing as trompe l'oeil inserts -- handwritten letters, faxes, screen captures of Word docs, etc. So conceptual! Actually I quite enjoyed the gags. The book pretty much covers his career up until 2009. The silver metallic ink for captions and masthead stuff is annoying to read, but looks cool. (comfort v. style!). The Branquinho book is nicely designed in a spare, Swiss modern grid format. So, whatever, it's clean. But I have not read any of the essays yet (mostly because they are in French) so I can't comment on the actual text. The book has some nice photography and includes images of entire collections from her start until about 2012. However the images are postage stamp size, boo.

Speaking of paper and binding, the Margiela book weighs in at, like, 4 lbs and has 3 or 4 ribbon markers and multiple inserts. @sipang printing against the paper grain bugs me to no end, having book snap shut is a bummer. These seem to be printed with the grain and open fairly easy. They both use traditional signature binding which makes it a bit easier than perfect binding (not sure what they call that in your neck of the woods).

Margiela

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Branquinho

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Margiela layout kind of reminds me of '90s Ray Gun magazine.

5. Parker

Don't shoot me, but I never really liked David Carson.

6. dieworkwear

:butbut:

Really? Even at the time?

7. Parker

I liked him because he was a self-taught surfer from San Diego. But I've always been a flat, 2D Saul Bass type guy when it comes to graphic design.

8. dieworkwear

Yea, I really like Saul Bass too. Probably more enduring, but I really liked David Carson and the whole Ray Gun thing in the '90s. The jumbled, grungy typography.

Kind of gimmicky in hindsight, but I thought it was so "alternative" at the time.

9. dieworkwear

Future Beauty has already been covered here, but I had these photos laying around on my laptop and thought I'd post them. See @Ivwri's review for more

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  10. Parker

So I was cleaning out some shelves this weekend and ran across an old issue of "Six" by Comme des Garcons which was a print promotion they did each season. Ms Parker has a stash of 90s fashion mags and ephemera.

featuring John Malkovich and Christy Turlington :-D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    3 people like this.