Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Words+Bindings - The Fashion Books Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Urthwhyte, Jan 9, 2013.

1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

Kiyokazu Washida's たかが服、されど服

[​IMG]

Include some runway pics from aw81 up until 2000. Thanks Asobu !
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    a/w 81-82, s/s 83

[​IMG]
    s/s 83

[​IMG]
    a/w 83-84

[​IMG]
    s/s 84, a/w 83-84

[​IMG]
    s/s 84

[​IMG]
    a/w 84-85

[​IMG]
    s/s 85, a/w 84-85[/QUOTE]

[​IMG]
    a/w 85-86

[​IMG]
    s/s 86

[​IMG]
    s/s 86

[​IMG]
    a/w 86-87

[​IMG]
    a/w 86-87

[​IMG]
    a/w 87-88

[​IMG]
    a/w 88-89, s/s 88

[​IMG]
    s/s 89

[​IMG]
    a/w 89-90

[​IMG]
    a/w 89-90[/QUOTE]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    s/s 85

[​IMG]
    a/w 85-86, s/s 85

[​IMG][​IMG]
    a/w 85-86, s/s 86

[​IMG]
    s/s 90

[​IMG][​IMG]
    a/w 90-91

[​IMG]
    s/s 91[/QUOTE]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a/w 91-92 6.1 THE MEN

[​IMG]
    a/w 91-92, a/w 92-93, s/s 91

[​IMG]
    a/w 91-92, s/s 91

[​IMG][​IMG]
    a/w 91-92, s/s 92

[​IMG]
    a/w 92-93[/QUOTE]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    s/s 93

[​IMG][​IMG]
    s/s 93

[​IMG]
    a/w 93-94

[​IMG]
    s/s 94

[​IMG]
    a/w 94-95, s/s 94

[​IMG][​IMG]
    a/w 94-95, s/s 94[/QUOTE]

[​IMG]
    s/s 95, a/w 94-95

[​IMG][​IMG]
    s/s 95, a/w 94-95

[​IMG][​IMG]
    a/w 93-94, a/w 94-95[/QUOTE]

[​IMG]
    a/w 95-96

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a/w 95-96 The SAPPORO Collection

[​IMG][​IMG]
    a/w 95-96, s/s 95[/QUOTE]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    s/s 96, s/s 97

[​IMG]
    a/w 96-97

[​IMG]
    a/w 96-97 The NEW YORK Collection

[​IMG][​IMG]
    a/w 98-99

[​IMG][​IMG]
    s/s 96, a/w 96-97

[​IMG][​IMG]
    s/s 97, a/w 97-98[/QUOTE]

[​IMG]
    s/s 98

[​IMG]
    s/s 99

[​IMG][​IMG]
    a/w 99-00, ss00

[​IMG]
    a/w 00-01[/QUOTE]

[​IMG]
    s/s 01

[​IMG][​IMG]
    a/w 01-02

[​IMG]
    s/s 01

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    s/s 02[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013

2. snake

snake Senior member

Nope, still have it!

I think I remember Ivwri saying that he wasn't too impressed with This is My Dream, but I still want to try to get my hands on a copy.

3. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Doh! Was going to post shots from Talking to Myself later in the week. Love the binding and the paper (feels like it is coated with linen or something) used for the cover. Are duplicates with alternate shots allowed in here?

Waiting on my copy of the Taschen Yohji book so will probably do that as well once I get it if no one does so first. Will also work on getting good shots (or scans!) of A magazine curated by Yohji Yamamoto and Future Beauty: 30 years of Japanese Fashion by the end of the week.

Great stuff so far gents, always a pleasure to stumble upon threads like this one with the usual suspects :slayer:

EDIT - Yeah Talking to Myself was not all that in my opinion. I wish they focused more on the actual design team and less on the random asides with Yohji himself (some of which were pretty cool, but in my opinion, mainly irrelevant to the brand as it is today). Would have also appreciated more archival footage of the first collections etc. Not a waste of money to own though and the scented candle it came with was pretty nice :)

Talking to Myself does indeed read like a vanity project that could have done with a firmer hand from the editor, but overall I like it as it does provide a good insight into Yohji's mind and/or mental processes. Chapters like the ones discussing buttons, women, pockets and so on are pretty cool and so are some of the images he painted when talking about his clothing. Just like A Notebook... both films suffer from being a bit too egocentric/"experimental" in my opinion but they still have some value :satisfied:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

4. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Another expose. Will try to do a readable, overhead shot with full images when I am home and have the space/lighting to do so. Colors may seem off because I had my room light + natural light right next to the window. Will do Pleats Please sometime soon if Sipang will allow me, though I think he can do a better job

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

5. sipang

sipang Senior member

Eprfect erview !

6. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

=

7. g transistor

8. g transistor

Big one, this one is too good.

Phew. Wasn't that a lot. I'm not even sorry for not spoilering this.

9. sipang

sipang Senior member

Cosign on this one. Great great value for the price. The book is also trilingual (English, French, German) in typical Taschen fashion.

I'll try to post some additional pics/thoughts later.

10. g transistor

11. g transistor

Anyone have Raf Simons Redux? I have seen some images of it and it looks really cool. Too bad it's $$$

Are the Taschen designer books good? Thinking of picking up the Yohji ones but I don't like the covers (is that weird)

Will do Many of Them: Vol II sometime next week when my lens gets here

12. sipang

sipang Senior member

I can do Redux when I find the damn thing, it's probably hidden under a pile of other books.

Is Many of Them worth the price ? Been meaning to order it. but I'll wait for the review.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

13. snake

snake Senior member

I can do Redux too if you can't find yours.

Might have to add that bless book to the list, looks nice and surprisingly not $$$.

14. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

THE RED BOOK

"The years… when I pursued the inner images, were the most important time of my life.
    Everything else is to be derived from this. It began at that time, and the later details hardly matter
    anymore. My entire life consisted in elaborating what had burst forth from the unconscious and flooded
    me like an enigmatic stream and threatened to break me. That was the stuff and material for more than
    only one life. Everything later was merely the outer classification, scientific elaboration, and the integration
    into life. But the numinous beginning, which contained everything, was then.
    "

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Code:
    The work is inscribed by Jung with the title Liber Novus (The New Book). The folio size manuscript, 
    11.57 inches (29.4 cm) by 15.35 inches (39.0 cm), was bound in red leather, and was commonly referred to 
    as the "Red Book" by Jung. Inside are 205 pages of text and illustrations, all from his hand: 53 are full images, 
    71 contain both text and artwork and 81 are pure calligraphic text.[7] He began work on it in 1913, first in small 
    black journals, during a difficult period of "creative illness", or confrontation with the unconscious, and it is said 
    to contain some of his most personal material.[8] During the sixteen years he worked on the book, Jung 
    developed his theories of archetypes, collective unconscious, and individuation.[9]

The Red Book was a product of a technique developed by Jung which he termed active imagination. As Jung 
    described it, he was visited by two figures, an old man and a young woman, who identified themselves as Elijah 
    and Salome. They were accompanied by a large black snake. In time, the Elijah figure developed into a guiding 
    spirit that Jung called Philemon (ΦΙΛΗΜΩΝ, as originally written with Greek letters). Salome was identified by 
    Jung as an anima figure. The figures, according to Jung, "brought home to me the crucial insight that there are 
    things in the psyche which I do not produce, but which produce themselves and have their own life."[4]

The Philemon figure represented superior insight and communicated through mythic imagery. The images did 
    not appear to come from Jung's own experience and Jung interpreted them as products of the collective unconscious.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

15. g transistor

I'm not really sure, it's not too expensive (was $45 USD for me). It's kinda small, like dimension-wise but pretty thick, with LOTS of designers but very little of each designer, but at the same time a lot of lesser known designers as well as very conceptual ones (cosmic wonder & bless). There are some interviews etc/nonsensical writings (Rick Owens film...thing), and very artsy photos (hello finger covering lens in 30% of the photos). I'll do a proper later this week so you can see if you want it