• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woolrich >, <, or = pendleton?

hollowsleather

Reaction score
Pendleton is the way to go. The majority of the Pendletons that you'll thrift will be US-made. Woolrich started outsourcing earlier, and seem to make more cotton flannel than wool.

Wool is more durable and warmer. Function.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Nice pics. If you go to flea markets with a vintage clothing section, you can get them for cheap. At the Roebowl flea, there is a vendor that has racks of Pendleton, Woolich, and assorted flannels for $5 - $10 a piece. Now if only the weather would change. It was about 80 in LA today.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went around with an Aquascutum house check baseball cap and a matching, light-weight, reversible jacket (some would call it a "harrington") and got lots and lots of comments - particularly when I wore the jacket on the check side. I had gotten the cap new in Shopsy's - the store in Toronto that specializes in British attire - in 2008 and a few years later ordered the pre-owned jacket on eBay (it actually had been owned by someone in the Ukraine). Recently the jacket's sleeves, particularly on the checked side, got sufficiently worn for me to rationalize giving it away or selling it, and I sold it for hardly anything to an above-average collectible/vintage store, which promptly featured it on the more damaged but more interesting side and gave it a price higher than most of their jackets.

Then I decided the cap is also a bit too worn for me to want to keep wearing it and, after not being able to sell it at one or two places, I put it in the giveaway bag. Actually, I had gone to the one of our two regional outlet malls for the first time and was happy to find it actually has a Pendleton outlet store. There's only one store now in Greater Cleveland that sells even a few Pendleton men's items. I saw a cap I liked and bought it, so in this case I replaced a "luxury" Aquascutum cap with one from Pendleton and am very pleased. One thing the companies have in common is they're both over a century old. The cap was not very expensive, but it's got a real leather label on the back and, with its American Indian pattern in front, it is quite handsome. Technically, I replaced the Aquascutum jacket with a Wilson's leather jacket originally extremely expensive but I purchased it in one of their crazy markdowns.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pendleton wool flannels are great. Look at ebay, shopgoodwill.com, etsy etc till you find a tartan or whatever that works for you. At the prices you will pay secondhand, you can afford to try both amigo! Also: pendleton uses a couple of different fabrics, there are napped and un-napped wool and probably also cotton. You might also look at older LL Bean.

ctb87

Reaction score
I have owned both Woolrich and Pendelton flannels. Filson's are nice too but IMHO they're not all that much better considering the steep increase in price. They are a little thicker, but if you're layering the flannel that doesn't really matter.

USA made either way obviously, the construction will be better. In my experience the Pendeltons are more likely to be a scratchy polyester blend or wool, with a wicking lining of some sort.

The Woolrich vintage flannels tend to have a cut on the bottom with a curved yoke in the back, Pendeltons are more likely to be a straight cut like Filson's. Obviously each company produces both, but in my binning those cuts are what is more common to each brand.

I prefer to have one of each, myself. :)

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correction: a second store in Greater Cleveland sells some Pendleton's, but not much - Geiger's.

Streettrash

Reaction score
I like a mix personally. I have an ancient Woolrich that belonged to my father and his father that I love. Also own Pendletons in various colors and patterns. Agree that if budget is an issue second hand is the way to go. Fit is the most important thing. If it's cheap but fits like a gunny sack what good is it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads