• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wool vs silk sportcoat

frankkaeb

Reaction score
Any significant difference in the level of "formality" of wool vs silk in a sportcoat? I am looking at a silk sportcoat for the first time and was not sure if there are any "issues" that may limit a silk coat's versatility.

Thanks

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frankkaeb
Any significant difference in the level of "formality" of wool vs silk in a sportcoat? I am looking at a silk sportcoat for the first time and was not sure if there are any "issues" that may limit a silk coat's versatility. Thanks
Silk wear warm but can be good if you are cultivating your sleaze factor.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Silk is usually shiny and doesn't wear very hard. I like it but I doubt you'd wear it much in a "professional" setting.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wool=

Silk=

I like silk SC's but then again I have ambitions of being a lounge singer.

Toorman

Reaction score
I picked up a blue Canali silk blazer at the Barney's Warehouse Sale. It is a slimmer, more modern cut that is not overly shiny and is great for wearing out to bars and such. Works great for that function.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Wool=
Silk=
I like silk SC's but then again I have ambitions of being a lounge singer.

This is good.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics please. The material itself doesn't always determine when the coat can or can't be worn.

I have a sports coat of dupioni silk whose slubs make it less formal than many of my woolen sports coats. I also own several silk/linen/wool blend sports coats whose formality level is determined by factors other than the material (one is blue/cream herringbone with cream slubs and is informal; the other is light rose with blue undertones that appear only when viewed at the right angle, similar to some Charvet ties, and is more formal).

laphroaig

Reaction score
I have two wool/silk blend suits and the one containing a higher percentage of silk actually looks much less shiny and feels heavier than the one with only a small silk component.

The material treatment and weave seems to make a much larger difference than its makeup.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This jacket is silk. Not all silk is the same.

Tardek

Reaction score
I wear wool, myself. I don't really have anything against silk, it just seems less practical.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a silk/wool jacket in a coppery color with navy. It has a nice sheen to it. I wanted that though because it is for a party/city setting and it works. Actually I wish I had gotten something more "blue". It has a different look to it. As it is I have two more pieces of this Holland and Sherry Fabric in different colors.

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
Silk is merely a fiber. It really depends on how the silk is woven. I think most are assuming a high sheen/satin weave jacket. If the silk sport coat looks great, is versatile (in terms of color), and doesn't not have a high sheen, I would definitely pick it simply for the novelty factor. It's easy to find a wool sportcoat a silk one however, is more uncommon IMO.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.8%
  • 31 - 40