Wool versus Cashmere coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RJman, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. RJman

    RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

    Messages:
    18,647
    Likes Received:
    102
    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2004
    Location:
    In the not too distant future
    I purchased a topcoat represented as cashmere which has turned out to be 85% wool, 15% cashmere. The price was still fair (less than half what yoox was charging) and while I've contacted the seller I've thought of what others have mentioned about the merits of wool versus cashmere in overcoating. As the coat's very soft still -- rather like some of the less dependable materials offered me as "pashmina" in India -- I've wondered if its composition would make it significantly more durable or more warm than a coat in all cashmere. Does anyone have any opinions and care to weigh in?
     
  2. lisapop

    lisapop Senior member

    Messages:
    534
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    That's a good combination of wool and cashmere---The softness of cash...mere and the durability of wool. I have a suit made of cloth consisting of 99% wool and just 1% cashmere and just that miniscule amount of cashmere softens the other 99% of the cloth. If the price is right, even better.
    Grayson
     
  3. RJman

    RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

    Messages:
    18,647
    Likes Received:
    102
    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2004
    Location:
    In the not too distant future
    Thanks for your frank and courteous response. I have some friends stopping by later tonight -- the only other well-dressed people I know well in DC -- and will see if they think the material is cashmere.
     

Share This Page

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by