• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool trouser without front crease?

super1flavor

Reaction score
Couldn't find anything definitive on this topic and I have a general idea of what to expect in response. I know that wool trousers are favored with a crease down the front of the leg. I would never ask if the trousers were part of a suit, but I have a beautiful pair of grey wool trousers that get very little use in a formal setting (since I have like kind full suits and in similar color) and I've toyed with having them cleaned and pressed flat (no crease). The fit is slim, so there should not be a ballooning effect. Would I be committing a big error? Does anyone one have trouser separates (non-cotton/linen, etc) that have no crease and wearing them like this? I've looked on Mr. Porter and a few others sites and you'll see a few models wearing wool pants like this, but 85% seem to have crease. I just feel like this would be such a nice step up from wearing a chino in a more casual setting without going full on formal. Am I wrong? Thanks.

Last edited:

Arnobuyens

Reaction score
I wear my trousers quite slim so even with minimal wear i find the creases disappearing rather quickly, especially on the top half of the leg. If the trousers already follow the form of your legs rather tightly I see no practical use for the crease, however aesthetically they do look more formal. If you're trying to make your wool trousers look more casual then by all means, go for it! As long as you wear them with confidence no one will question your choices
wink.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trousers should have good creases - they look (and by inference the wearer) slovenly without.

Arnobuyens

Reaction score
depends on what you consider slim fit, if it practically hugs your thigh and has a hem width of 7 inches you could get away with it. On a suit I would definitely not recommend it but if it's just for casual wear then why not? Just try it out, see what responses you get, see if you like it and feel comfortable with it and if you realise you've made a mistake you can always have them pressed.

super1flavor

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. It's a somewhat important question to be asked. Most of my pants these days are being tapered to a 7 inch hem opening, which while being slim, is not nearly as slim as other stuff I'm seeing out there now with 6 inch openings. Point being, I might give it a shot and can always repress. It's just such a great pair of grey Cucinelli trousers. I no longer subscribe to the pants and shirt (only) look so if I am going to be formal with or without tie, I'll wear a suit. I've always greatly disliked the whole dress trouser and button down look without a jacket and as I wrote in another thread, I no longer subscribe to the whole odd trousers and sport coat look (in a formal setting).

I'm just trying to find valid uses for this pair of pants. If it's something I can wear casually with a polo or v-neck tee in the warmer months with no crease in place of the standard khaki pant, then that's what I had in mind. Good news is that they are quality wool and unlike cotton, will not have that shinny white mark down the center of the pants, which sadly, just affected a pair of Caruso Khaki's for that reason. Had the line, pressed out (tried everything found on the net, including white vinegar) and the result was still a white line. They are now shorts soon to be hemmed. Fortunately, the damage was mostly below knee.

P.S. Thanks Arnobuyens for responding to my question (and being normal in the process).

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

super1flavor

Reaction score
You're still kind of missing my point. I agree, trousers, when worn formally, should always have a crease. I agree with that much. What I am looking for is an alternative to Khaki's and something worn more casually, which in theory, would have a slightly unfinished look. I know this is an unorthodox route to achieve a look, but I'm just so very tired of the standard summer look of chinos and I feel like a pressed pair of pants with a v-neck or polo is a little weird too.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You're still kind of missing my point. I agree, trousers, when worn formally, should always have a crease. I agree with that much. What I am looking for is an alternative to Khaki's and something worn more casually, which in theory, would have a slightly unfinished look. I know this is an unorthodox route to achieve a look, but I'm just so very tired of the standard summer look of chinos and [COLOR=FF00AA]I feel like a pressed pair of pants with a v-neck or polo is a little weird too.[/COLOR] 

That's what jeans are for.

And why would you wear wool trousers in the summer?

Last edited:

super1flavor

Reaction score
Ugh. Here is one of those classic styleforum moments. Jeans in the summer are suicide and after 15,576 posts you should be well versed in the varying types of wools. You could have asked if it is a light weight wool, etc, which in this case, it kind of is. The wool and weave is on the lighter to medium side (not tropical, but close).

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shen

Reaction score
You're still kind of missing my point. I agree, trousers, when worn formally, should always have a crease. I agree with that much. What I am looking for is an alternative to Khaki's and something worn more casually, which in theory, would have a slightly unfinished look. I know this is an unorthodox route to achieve a look, but I'm just so very tired of the standard summer look of chinos and I feel like a pressed pair of pants with a v-neck or polo is a little weird too.
Is it though?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sounds like you simply want to hear people tell you that it's a good idea. I agree with @ter1413 , why ask for advise if you only want to hear one answer? Just wear your trousers with no crease if you are that set on it. Incidentally, I have one pair of trousers with no crease, I will be getting them creased asap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads