Wool trouser without front crease?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by super1flavor, Mar 5, 2015.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Yep.

2. super1flavor

super1flavor Senior member

Yep. Classic style forum. I think there should be a ban that anyone who has more than 2000 posts, can no longer comment. In any event, I am called "stupid" for asking an entirely reasonable question, yet the advice of someone who has nearly 16,000 posts under their belt is simply "just wear jeans in the summer?" I hold people on this forum in much higher regard than that. Perhaps I shouldn't. Thanks for the stupid comment between us.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I didn't call YOU stupid...stupid. I said that it will LOOK stupid.

4. super1flavor

Point still stands. 16,000 posts and your initial response was "wear jeans".

You sir, are fired.

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

You are being entirely too sensitive. No one called you stupid. Someone said it "looked" stupid and that is a valid opinion. Understand that I said it is an opinion, just like you have your opinions. I think you came in here primed to expect a negative experience and you found a way to ensure that it was.

6. Caustic Man

Alright, now you really are acting stupid.

7. super1flavor

Not true. I have some great other conversations elsewhere and I get along fine with newer people like myself. I just know, from past topics over a year ago, that once the "senior members" get roaring everything goes down hill. The people I look to most for the best and most thoughtful responses generally provide no value whatsoever.

8. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Quote:I agree that it is a very reasonable question to ask and the answers to date are quite frankly pathetic. The front crease is, of course, a relatively modern concept and, if you are looking for validation for a flat fronted formal trouser, you only have to go back to the turn of the last Century. This discussion on the Cutter and Tailor explains my point http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162 As trousers become narrower again, of course the need for a front crease is called into question. Go for it.

9. super1flavor

Sweet Jesus. Thank you!

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Why not just get some cords, moleskin, duck canvas or other alternative fabrics? If you don't want a crease in wool, by all means, go for it. I would just make sure it is completely pressed out and looks like one was never there or it isn't going to look right.

11. super1flavor

Thanks. Makes sense, but I'm afraid the moleskin might not be pliable or breathable enough for warmer wear. Winter, sure. Maybe I am wrong on that. The image I have in my head was this whole relaxed tropical vibe with a polo of v-neck and in non-khaki form. I know that tropical wools are a favorite of many. I think I'll give it a shot and I agree, I'll make sure the press is clean.

12. Caustic Man

13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Moleskin is not a warm weather fabric. Good luck.

14. Caustic Man

The problem is that you asked for opinions about wool trousers and creases. When you got negative opinions on them you started complaining. If you wanted alternative suggestions you should have asked for it, instead of simply asking what people thought of your idea.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  15. Arnobuyens

Arnobuyens Well-Known Member

The problem is that his question was received with such negativity. The problem is that he asked an innocent and honest question and was answered with such a sense of hostility (not towards him, towards the concept of creaseless pants), i suppose the problem was proposing a rather progressive concept in a conservative environment