1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wool/silk-blend for overcoat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fredrik80, Aug 12, 2006.

1. fredrik80

fredrik80 Senior member

I saw a really nice tweed overcoat that was made from a silk-wool blend (70% wool 30% silk i think), is this a bad choice for an colder weater coat?
    Is the silk just for giving luster to the fabric or will it give any other features that a wool coat wont have?

2. stach

stach Senior member

Silk is warmer than wool.

3. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

True, but it's also not as hard wearing. I dunno, the regular heavy wools and wool cashmeres seem fine to me. Then again, I live in Florida and the coldest it ever gets is around 25 degrees Fahrenheit in winter. Still, a tweed overcoat is a classy item and you should definitely get it if you like it. [​IMG]

4. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I saw a really nice tweed overcoat that was made from a silk-wool blend (70% wool 30% silk i think), is this a bad choice for an colder weater coat?
    Is the silk just for giving luster to the fabric or will it give any other features that a wool coat wont have?

I'm not familiar with Wool/Silk blend overcoats. It sure sounds nice though. Could you post a picture?

I do have a few Wool/Silk blend sportcosts. They are not as common as they were a few years ago. I have observed that they do not hold up as well as my 100% wool sportcoats.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Wool and silk blend should hold up very well. My experience with collecting vintage cashmere and vicuna overcoats is that the lining has to be replaced long before the the outside shows significant wear.