• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool Pants Wearing Out Between Legs

Mister F

Reaction score
I work out and have big quads/thighs. When I am at my leanest, my legs rub together a tiny bit from time to time, and when I am not at my leanest, my legs rub together more when I walk.

I have had a ton of suits over the years. Wool pants wear out fairly quickly (the duration depends on my leanness at the time) and a wool/polyester blend never wear out.

Here is the problem. I am going to go for a bespoke suit, and I'd like the quality to be very good (read: I'd prefer wool over a mixed blend).

Here is my question. Would a perfectly fitting pair of wool pants (somewhat trim, which I'm guessing would reduce rubbing) not wear out as the OTR suits I have worn in the past have? Is it plain stupid to get a wool/polyester bespoke suit?

Thank you!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When going bespoke, you may want to consider ordering 2, 3 or even 4 pairs of pants per suit and rotate the pants when wearing. In the long run this may save you some money. It is either that or switch to bespoke bearskins.

Last edited:

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
At the end of the day it is your call, of course, but if I was splashing out on a bespoke suit I would certainly choose the additional pair of trousers option, as Man of Lint suggests, instead of compromising on the cloth quality. I believe that there are certain methods tailors can use to minimise wear in this area and you might want to consider raising this with your tailor specifically. I'm sure that he will understand that you want to get the most possible wear for your investment!

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if the wear is from the trouser rubbing against your legs the solution is simple.
reenforce the inside with a strong cloth like poplin, or drill, or pocketing.
take a trouser with the holes to the tailor so he can see where the damage occurs.
check from time to time, to see if this crotch lining is wearing out.
when it is then have the tailor replace it.

Last edited:

lostron

Reaction score

if the wear is from the trouser rubbing against your legs the solution is simple.
take a trouser with the holes to the tailor so he can see where the damage occurs.

this and order another pair as well

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go for the heavier fabrics. One reason your pants may be wearing out is you wear super 100's and up. While they are nice and refined fabrics they are thin and last much less.

Mister F

Reaction score
Good ideas. Thanks, guys.

And I'm digging the Walt White avatar two posts up. Not so much the one right above, though.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good ideas.  Thanks, guys.

And I'm digging the Walt White avatar two posts up.  Not so much the one right above, though.

He's got a problem with wear in the crotch. Legs not so much.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go for the heavier fabrics. One reason your pants may be wearing out is you wear super 100's and up. While they are nice and refined fabrics they are thin and last much less.

Heavier fabrics can be worn out quite rapidly in this fashion as well, as I know from painful experience after having taken up weight training. Ruined in fairly short order the trousers for about a dozen fine suits that I had inherited from a rich relative. The only consolation was that they had been made for a man living in the Great Lakes area and were much too heavy to be practical in the Sun Belt regions I frequent.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear out everything this way eventually, wool trousers and cords especially, and I am just a little guy with not much body fat. However, I have been a fairly serious cyclist for a long time (and these days a runner and triathlete). Having extra pants made is good if you can, altough this isn't always possible if the fabric you are using is uncommon... The only other thing I can think is that you just have to have a lot of suits and trousers and don't any particular one too often... and do go for the hardest wearing fabrics you can get away with.

Mister F

Reaction score
Thanks again. So you guys would definitely advise against the cotton/polyester blend? Just get the wool and deal with it wearing out?

Off My Rack

Reaction score

This won't do anything for the problem. The holes don't occur from the inside out, but from the outside in. One trouser leg rubs the other, creating the hole.

I've always had this problem with denim - as I know that the jeans are done once the inside thigh has a hole in them.

Definitely order a second pair of pants with the suit. Perhaps a pair of belted pants and a pair made for braces. Might as well have versatility in the pants if you're going to have multiple pairs.

Mister F

Reaction score
This won't do anything for the problem. The holes don't occur from the inside out, but from the outside in. One trouser leg rubs the other, creating the hole.

I've always had this problem with denim - as I know that the jeans are done once the inside thigh has a hole in them.

Definitely order a second pair of pants with the suit. Perhaps a pair of belted pants and a pair made for braces. Might as well have versatility in the pants if you're going to have multiple pairs.

I hate a belt with a suit. Color me strange. Even if I have loops, I go beltless. I think I'll do two pairs with side tabs.

Thanks everyone!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads