• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool (military) jacket

captainmo

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new jacket. Found this one:

http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=72

from express. Their website only shows XL - I'm going to the store tomorrow, so I'm hoping they have some smalls. I really like the military style jackets, but think wool fits my style better than your usual cotton or whatever military jackets.

Any ideas for similar styles?

I'm also considering something more simple, like:

http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=72

The mall I'm going to also has a Guess, J Crew, Eddie Bauer, Banana Republic, Macys, Nordstrom, and H&M. I'd like to keep it cheap, and I need something this weekend, so I'd like to stick to these stores. I'll be wearing it to work, which is pretty casual. Over the summer (I was an intern, gonna be there over break) guys wore button downs/polos with slacks/khakis. Some guys wore jeans and sneakers, so it's more casual than your normal business casual. I also want something I can wear around other than work, so no blazers or anything.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is your price range?

This jacket is a little more than the one you got

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...l=true&sortby=

I like it in grey.

This one is also military themed

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...ushpush&color=

The one that I really like but can't seem to find anywhere is Shades of Greige M65 Military Jacket

SHAD-MO126_V1.jpg

rapdancin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timbaland
The one that I really like but can't seem to find anywhere is Shades of Greige M65 Military Jacket
there have been a few popping up here and there in b&s

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rapdancin
there have been a few popping up here and there in b&s

Thanks man. I've been checking there. Seen a couple but not in my size unfortunately.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by captainmo
The mall I'm going to also has a Guess, J Crew, Eddie Bauer, Banana Republic, Macys, Nordstrom, and H&M. I'd like to keep it cheap, and I need something this weekend, so I'd like to stick to these stores.

H&M does a nice wool M65 this season. Augusto86 was wearing it here.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timbaland
what is your price range?

This jacket is a little more than the one you got

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...l=true&sortby=

I like it in grey.

This one is also military themed

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...ushpush&color=

SHAD-MO126_V1.jpg

Enough already with the SoG M-65!!! everyone who has owned any SoG stuff has said it is pretty much the worst quality **** they have ever owned and to stay away... search the threads. You are much better off with either H&M or Uniqlo or pretty much any other brand. Stop looking for the SoG m-65 you will regret purchasing it.

Branstone

Reaction score
While their quality has always been hit and miss, I wouldn't say that everything SoG has come out with (particularly this season) has been "worst quality ****" as you put it. Some of their outerwear has been pretty decent. Considering the price point, I don't see how anyone should have a problem picking one up. I've seen people mention that M65 in a positive light as well, so I'm sure it just depends on which one you snag.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Branstone
While their quality has always been hit and miss, I wouldn't say that everything SoG has come out with (particularly this season) has been "worst quality ****" as you put it. Some of their outerwear has been pretty decent. Considering the price point, I don't see how anyone should have a problem picking one up. I've seen people mention that M65 in a positive light as well, so I'm sure it just depends on which one you snag.

Considering the price point? are u joking? their stuff is wayyy over priced for what it is, that m-65 is $211, you can get something in a similar style for half that and of superior quality. I dont have alot of experince with SoG personally, I purchased the belted officers coat which fit like **** and started falling apart, buttons and stitching within the first week. I immediatly returned it. Besides that experience my assesment is from the 20+ posts on here about the horrible experinces of other members with SoG ultimatley ending in the item being returned, sold to someone on ebay, given away, or thrown out (although I have yet to hear of someone throwing away anything). I could care less if you buy it, just trying to help someone from making a regrettable purchase.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
Considering the price point? are u joking? their stuff is wayyy over priced for what it is, that m-65 is $211, you can get something in a similar style for half that and of superior quality. I dont have alot of experince with SoG personally, I purchased the belted officers coat which fit like **** and started falling apart, buttons and stitching within the first week. I immediatly returned it. Besides that experience my assesment is from the 20+ posts on here about the horrible experinces of other members with SoG ultimatley ending in the item being returned, sold to someone on ebay, given away, or thrown out (although I have yet to hear of someone throwing away anything). I could care less if you buy it, just trying to help someone from making a regrettable purchase.

I think the M65 is a bit higher quality than their other stuff, which IMO isn't particularly bad quality. It's not GREAT quality, but it's certainly not terrible. I wore the cropped charcoal peacoat for an entire winter without any significant issues, besides the buttons not being sewn on incredibly tightly, which I didn't consider a big deal. If you want something 100% bulletproof that will last for ten years, buy the NDG, but I don't see $211 for the SOG being particularly expensive. That's less than many BoO shirts.

captainmo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
H&M does a nice wool M65 this season. Augusto86 was wearing it here.

Awesome, thanks. I've never been in H&M before....to be honest, walking past it in the mall it looked like a sort of weird store. But since I've joined this forum, I've seen a lot of decent stuff. Heading out shopping in a few hours, so we'll see what I come up.

Branstone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I think the M65 is a bit higher quality than their other stuff, which IMO isn't particularly bad quality. It's not GREAT quality, but it's certainly not terrible. I wore the cropped charcoal peacoat for an entire winter without any significant issues, besides the buttons not being sewn on incredibly tightly, which I didn't consider a big deal. If you want something 100% bulletproof that will last for ten years, buy the NDG, but I don't see $211 for the SOG being particularly expensive. That's less than many BoO shirts.

That's precisely where I stand as well. The SoG pieces I've purchased have been hit and miss, but for the most part have fulfilled their purposes nicely.

OCross

Reaction score
Banana Republic makes a 'safari' jacket, which is pretty nice. Mostly woo, not 100%, around $130, comes in green and black.

It's basically an M-65, with 4 front flap pockets and epaulets.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
Enough already with the SoG M-65!!! everyone who has owned any SoG stuff has said it is pretty much the worst quality **** they have ever owned and to stay away... search the threads. You are much better off with either H&M or Uniqlo or pretty much any other brand. Stop looking for the SoG m-65 you will regret purchasing it.

Thanks for the heads up.

captainmo

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. H&M didn't have any of the military jackets. Express had the military (1st link i posted) in medium. It was a little big, but definitely not my style, so I just went for the plain wool express one. I also tried one of H&Ms pea coats - definitely not me either.

I saw a few cotton military jackets that were pretty nice, might end up picking up one eventually. I went with the wool for now, because I need something to wear to work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads