• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wool (military) jacket

captainmo

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2008
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
I'm looking for a new jacket. Found this one:

http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=72

from express. Their website only shows XL - I'm going to the store tomorrow, so I'm hoping they have some smalls. I really like the military style jackets, but think wool fits my style better than your usual cotton or whatever military jackets.

Any ideas for similar styles?

I'm also considering something more simple, like:

http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=72


The mall I'm going to also has a Guess, J Crew, Eddie Bauer, Banana Republic, Macys, Nordstrom, and H&M. I'd like to keep it cheap, and I need something this weekend, so I'd like to stick to these stores. I'll be wearing it to work, which is pretty casual. Over the summer (I was an intern, gonna be there over break) guys wore button downs/polos with slacks/khakis. Some guys wore jeans and sneakers, so it's more casual than your normal business casual. I also want something I can wear around other than work, so no blazers or anything.
 

rapdancin

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2008
Messages
193
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Timbaland
The one that I really like but can't seem to find anywhere is Shades of Greige M65 Military Jacket
there have been a few popping up here and there in b&s
 

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
3,259
Reaction score
686
Originally Posted by rapdancin
there have been a few popping up here and there in b&s

Thanks man. I've been checking there. Seen a couple but not in my size unfortunately.
 

whacked

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
7,364
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by captainmo
The mall I'm going to also has a Guess, J Crew, Eddie Bauer, Banana Republic, Macys, Nordstrom, and H&M. I'd like to keep it cheap, and I need something this weekend, so I'd like to stick to these stores.

H&M does a nice wool M65 this season. Augusto86 was wearing it here.
 

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,082
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by Timbaland
what is your price range?

This jacket is a little more than the one you got

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...l=true&sortby=

I like it in grey.

This one is also military themed

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...ushpush&color=

The one that I really like but can't seem to find anywhere is Shades of Greige M65 Military Jacket



Enough already with the SoG M-65!!! everyone who has owned any SoG stuff has said it is pretty much the worst quality shit they have ever owned and to stay away... search the threads. You are much better off with either H&M or Uniqlo or pretty much any other brand. Stop looking for the SoG m-65 you will regret purchasing it.
 

Branstone

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
While their quality has always been hit and miss, I wouldn't say that everything SoG has come out with (particularly this season) has been "worst quality shit" as you put it. Some of their outerwear has been pretty decent. Considering the price point, I don't see how anyone should have a problem picking one up. I've seen people mention that M65 in a positive light as well, so I'm sure it just depends on which one you snag.
 

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,082
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by Branstone
While their quality has always been hit and miss, I wouldn't say that everything SoG has come out with (particularly this season) has been "worst quality shit" as you put it. Some of their outerwear has been pretty decent. Considering the price point, I don't see how anyone should have a problem picking one up. I've seen people mention that M65 in a positive light as well, so I'm sure it just depends on which one you snag.

Considering the price point? are u joking? their stuff is wayyy over priced for what it is, that m-65 is $211, you can get something in a similar style for half that and of superior quality. I dont have alot of experince with SoG personally, I purchased the belted officers coat which fit like shit and started falling apart, buttons and stitching within the first week. I immediatly returned it. Besides that experience my assesment is from the 20+ posts on here about the horrible experinces of other members with SoG ultimatley ending in the item being returned, sold to someone on ebay, given away, or thrown out (although I have yet to hear of someone throwing away anything). I could care less if you buy it, just trying to help someone from making a regrettable purchase.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by pg600rr
Considering the price point? are u joking? their stuff is wayyy over priced for what it is, that m-65 is $211, you can get something in a similar style for half that and of superior quality. I dont have alot of experince with SoG personally, I purchased the belted officers coat which fit like shit and started falling apart, buttons and stitching within the first week. I immediatly returned it. Besides that experience my assesment is from the 20+ posts on here about the horrible experinces of other members with SoG ultimatley ending in the item being returned, sold to someone on ebay, given away, or thrown out (although I have yet to hear of someone throwing away anything). I could care less if you buy it, just trying to help someone from making a regrettable purchase.

I think the M65 is a bit higher quality than their other stuff, which IMO isn't particularly bad quality. It's not GREAT quality, but it's certainly not terrible. I wore the cropped charcoal peacoat for an entire winter without any significant issues, besides the buttons not being sewn on incredibly tightly, which I didn't consider a big deal. If you want something 100% bulletproof that will last for ten years, buy the NDG, but I don't see $211 for the SOG being particularly expensive. That's less than many BoO shirts.
 

captainmo

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2008
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by whacked
H&M does a nice wool M65 this season. Augusto86 was wearing it here.

Awesome, thanks. I've never been in H&M before....to be honest, walking past it in the mall it looked like a sort of weird store. But since I've joined this forum, I've seen a lot of decent stuff. Heading out shopping in a few hours, so we'll see what I come up.
 

Branstone

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I think the M65 is a bit higher quality than their other stuff, which IMO isn't particularly bad quality. It's not GREAT quality, but it's certainly not terrible. I wore the cropped charcoal peacoat for an entire winter without any significant issues, besides the buttons not being sewn on incredibly tightly, which I didn't consider a big deal. If you want something 100% bulletproof that will last for ten years, buy the NDG, but I don't see $211 for the SOG being particularly expensive. That's less than many BoO shirts.

That's precisely where I stand as well. The SoG pieces I've purchased have been hit and miss, but for the most part have fulfilled their purposes nicely.
 

OCross

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2008
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Banana Republic makes a 'safari' jacket, which is pretty nice. Mostly woo, not 100%, around $130, comes in green and black.

It's basically an M-65, with 4 front flap pockets and epaulets.
 

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
3,259
Reaction score
686
Originally Posted by pg600rr
Enough already with the SoG M-65!!! everyone who has owned any SoG stuff has said it is pretty much the worst quality shit they have ever owned and to stay away... search the threads. You are much better off with either H&M or Uniqlo or pretty much any other brand. Stop looking for the SoG m-65 you will regret purchasing it.

Thanks for the heads up.
 

captainmo

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2008
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
Thanks for all of the input. H&M didn't have any of the military jackets. Express had the military (1st link i posted) in medium. It was a little big, but definitely not my style, so I just went for the plain wool express one. I also tried one of H&Ms pea coats - definitely not me either.

I saw a few cotton military jackets that were pretty nice, might end up picking up one eventually. I went with the wool for now, because I need something to wear to work.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,179
Messages
9,229,742
Members
193,751
Latest member
kopghbnmuhmn
Top