wool long underwear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mr.loverman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. mr.loverman

mr.loverman Senior member

What is the best wool long undewear?

2. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Icebreaker for wool & Patagonia for synthetic

3. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Why go wool when you can go silk for not much more???? wintersilks.com

4. East Oakland

East Oakland Senior member

Icebreaker for wool

+1

Their merino wool base-layer garments are outstanding. After discovering this stuff, I ditched all of my synthetics.

5. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

Get Smartwool, you can throw it in the dryer, Icebreaker has to be hung dry. Otherwise comfort and fit is quite comparable.

6. Biggie_Robs

Biggie_Robs Senior member

Smartwool is good stuff.

7. SimonM

SimonM Active Member

Icebreaker has treated me well through extended stays in the arctic. Based on my experiences with the Smartwool socks, though, I'm sure it's good stuff, too.

8. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

I am happy with the following Filson Long Johns: http://www.filson.com/family/index.j..._Underwear_txt It can be machine washed cold and line dried...useful out in the field too I have also tried the SmartWool long johns. I found the SmartWool to be a bit softer but WAY INFERIOR in keeping me warm. When the Filson product got wet from my excessive sweat...I still stayed warm. When the SmartWool product got wet...I started to suffer chills from the cold and ended my excursions in the cold quickly in order to dry off and put on the Filson product instead The Filson product was built tough and lasted an entire year. At times it doubled as a pajama for me here in Los Angeles. When camping, it was my base layer when I went to sleep either out on hunts or overnight camping I will be purchasing another Filson pair shortly. The long john pants do run big I have not tried the Iceabreaker product. It appears the company has spent plenty of money marketing it and presenting flashy colors with neat product info...every reason why I would stay away from it. I'll stick with the Filson products...as their log says..."Might As Well Have the Best"

9. brax

brax Senior member

Icebreaker makes a great product. Patagonia not only has capeline baselayers but has wool baselayers as well. They, too, are great and their wool is not treated with chlorine.

10. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

I've never had this problem, and I run in wool long-johns all winter in Boston. I'm not sure how you get more cold in one sort of 100% merino wool underwear than another. You know they make them in different weights?

Anyway, I run, bike, snowboard, and just throw them on to walk the dogs all winter, I use both Icebreaker and Smartwool, they are both great, they never smell bad and have held up under years of abuse. The only difference is that the Icebreaker can't be dried in the machine.

I am happy with the following Filson Long Johns:
    http://www.filson.com/family/index.j..._Underwear_txt
    It can be machine washed cold and line dried...useful out in the field too

I have also tried the SmartWool long johns. I found the SmartWool to be a bit softer but WAY INFERIOR in keeping me warm. When the Filson product got wet from my excessive sweat...I still stayed warm. When the SmartWool product got wet...I started to suffer chills from the cold and ended my excursions in the cold quickly in order to dry off and put on the Filson product instead