1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wool/Linen/Silk Blends

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bluesmobile_440, Aug 26, 2012.

1. bluesmobile_440

bluesmobile_440 Member

Hi all,

What exactly is the point of a 34% wool, 33% silk, 33% linen blend? Is it for summer or winter? At first glance it has 2 fabrics which hold heat in and then another which is airy. It just seems like a big contradiction. I was doing a forum search and could not find an adequate answer to the question. Thank you.

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Wool can be pretty airy if its light fabric or an open weave. Also, both the wool and and the silk will make the fabric wrinkle less than linen does. I would expect it to be for summer, or at least for the warmer months even if maybe not for the very hottest days.

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

A lot of luxury items are ultimately pointless.

They are, as they are. If you can't enjoy that, then don't bother.

4. bluesmobile_440

bluesmobile_440 Member

Good point. I'm just trying to understand the mechanics behind it. It seems alot of these are for spring and summer, but I was trying to reconcile the combo in my mind. Thanks for the help.

5. bluesmobile_440

bluesmobile_440 Member

Thank you. Seems like if it's a lightweight wool, that would pair well with the linen. The silk then gives it some wrinkle resistance?

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I have summer trousers from Valentini that are wool/silk/linen. They're a bit thicker, sturdier material, a bit like pin-cord, have a nice hand, smoother than linen, don't wrinkle nearly as much and the wrinkles fall out better when hung. Wear pretty cool in summer. I wear them with an unlined hopsack navy blazer etc.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  7. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Silk blends are also used to make fabrics softer and smoother (from N&F jeans to Louis Vuitton cashmere!) -- you certainly aren't restricted to thinking about these things in terms of weight or warmth.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012