• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool Knit Ties

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Do you wear them? Are they even more casual than silk knits?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I too only have silk knits, but that's only a personal preference. I don't know that wool knits are "more casual" than silk.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just today received a couple of wool knits that I ordered from BB, one blue, one burgundy.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&sectionsize=#

I'm unthrilled enough that I may return them. They're not nearly as textured, or "crunchy", as my silk knit ties, and without that texture, what's really the point?

MCH-est.1818

Reaction score
I have a few wool knits and a couple cashmere ones too. I actually wear my navy wool knit "fairly" regularly--typically with a white shirt and glen plaid suit, which looks really sharp.

I don't think they are any more casual than silk knits but may be better suited for fall/winter.

It is obviously personal preference but I think the texture of the wool knit is a nice variation that falls in between a typical wool tie and a silk knit.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both. I prefer silk.

Mike

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have both.....Silk is less casual IMO.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few cashmere knit ties that I like very much. For some reason I never find good colors in wool knit.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That tan BB knit looks awesome!

Do they have it in usual width and triangled?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a fan of wool ties (given my love of tweed, that's good) ... but when it comes to knits ... I prefer silk.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got rid of all silk knit ties and bought two of these wool knit ties, in my opinion, they are less crunchy and make a smoother knot. I don't like bulky knots that silk knit ties make,besides,texture on silk knit ties is too obvious whereas wool knit is sublime and works well to dress down the outfit.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I got rid of all silk knit ties and bought two of these wool knit ties, in my opinion, they are less crunchy and make a smoother knot. I don't like bulky knots that silk knit ties make,besides,texture on silk knit ties is too obvious whereas wool knit is sublime and works well to dress down the outfit.

This time, but only this
laugh.gif
I agree with you. My better knots have been done with wool ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads