• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool knit/jersey for suiting?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this ever done? Saw some such fabric I liked, but was given amorphous warnings that it wouldn't 'look right', too flowy, etc. yet no real concrete reasons it wouldn't work. Seems like this might be something tried at Pitti?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This also sounds very Loro Piana, its jackets in particular. Hermes used shirting fabrics this season for very lightweight suits with success. I'm no expert, but I think the OP's idea would work for a casual suit.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the big deal?

Bogioli has been doing it for about 3 years.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Can you point to any jackets they make that are knits? I searched without much luck.

For those who don't know, this is what knit looks like:

images

as opposed to the traditional woven wool used to make suiting. Knit is the same structure a cotton tshirt has. Obviously it's not as crisp and smooth looking as woven wool, but I'm curious if it's really that much different-looking, as I was handling yards of it yesterday right next to suiting and it looked only marginally more 'ripply'.

The enormous benefit of knitted wool, which is why I started this thread, it the fact that it's incredibly stretchy, in all four directions, without resorting to lycra.

Here's a video of a cotton knit from Brioni that looks perfectly fine to me, get matching trousers, button it up, and a crisp tie and shirt and it'll work for business no?:

http://www.mrporter.com/product/176400

176400_mrp_fr_l.jpg[IMG]

Last edited:

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL Purple Label also makes a blazer (double breasted) out of cotton jersey too.

As far as Bogioli, I've seen them in Men's Ex magazines. Try calling up the likes of Barney's, they might be able to help you.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just remembered that about 3 years ago, I saw Isaia doing a double-faced wool-jersey type fabric blazer. It was really cool (as in a reversible jacket). I saw it at Neiman Marcus.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RL Purple Label also makes a blazer (double breasted) out of cotton jersey too.
Come to think of it, I had a single breasted one from RL a few years ago.

Last edited:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your guys' opinions on the knit then? Everything else being equal was it passable as suiting?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are your guys' opinions on the knit then? Everything else being equal was it passable as suiting?

Suiting like jacket + pants? Hard to pull off.

But as an odd jacket it'd be really cool.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a knit jacket for long. But knit pants...errr... Wouldn't they look like sweat pants?

TGOL

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I would worry about it sending a '70s, poly knit lesuire suit vibe, but since I've never really seen jersey knit wool in person that may be unfounded. I also thing it would work better as an odd jacket than as a suit.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would worry about it sending a '70s, poly knit lesuire suit vibe, but since I've never really seen jersey knit wool in person that may be unfounded. I also thing it would work better as an odd jacket than as a suit.

You've never seen a jersey knit sweater? Not all that uncommon.

Odds are, the vibe you would get would be similar to an old varsity sweater. Not a bad vibe, but I'd prefer it as an actual sweater.

TGOL

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You've never seen a jersey knit sweater? Not all that uncommon.
Odds are, the vibe you would get would be similar to an old varsity sweater. Not a bad vibe, but I'd prefer it as an actual sweater.

I have seen many a jersey knit sweater, but I was thinking of something in a much finer gauge and/or tighter knit that the sweaters I've seen. I didn't really make that clear, but I was picturing something like cotton jersey, but in wool, which I imagined would look an awful lot like poly doubleknit.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have seen many a jersey knit sweater, but I was thinking of something in a much finer gauge and/or tighter knit that the sweaters I've seen. I didn't really make that clear, but I was picturing something like cotton jersey, but in wool, which I imagined would look an awful lot like poly doubleknit.

Polyester has a sheen to it that wool doesn't normally have, I don't think that would be much of an issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics