• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool in hot weather

Jnarcane

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wool is much-touted for its temperature regulation. People say, "It keeps you cool when it's hot and warm when it's cool!" And certain wools, namely the high-twists and tropicals, are among the most-coveted four-season, if not spring-summer, fabrics.

But exactly how cool are the coolest wools? If it were hot outside, would you feel more comfortable in one of those wools or in a more typical summer fabric, like cotton or linen?

St1X

Reaction score
If it's hot outside then there's no difference if it's high twist wool, cotton or linen. The only thing that will keep you cool is an AC, so stay inside. :)
For me it's more of a matter of cleaning - you'll sweat and your clothes will absorb it. Cotton or linen can be easily thrown into a laundry machine, so I always chose them over wool.
P.S. I am waiting for cloth with infrared light reflecting coating, but it's nowhere to be seen :(

msimon

Reaction score
If I had a choice between cotton and fine gauge merino, it would be merino everytime. It's just a all round better fabric when it comes to regulating temperature but it doesn't keep you cooler that's marketing nonsense.

In the UK we can lose 3-5c during the day at the end of summer, your gonna get cold in your shorts and tshirt.

Jnarcane

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if we accept that a light and porous wool is as cool as any cotton or linen and has advantages like being warmer in cool weather and having better drape and less odor retention, why not use wool by default over king cotton? Is it just a matter of ease of laundering and of price?

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
Speaking strictly only about "cooling" properties of different materials in general, this is my experience with shirts and trousers (summer weight and weave):

First of all if it's hot you will be hot.

Cotton is initially the most comfortable to the touch. Problem with cotton is that when it gets wet, it stays wet and starts to be uncomfortable. You will feel "wet" and uncomfortable because of it and wet cotton can irritate your skin as well. Also cotton will start to smell bad quicker.

Linen can be little rough to the touch, but linen absorbs and evaporates all moisture much quicker. So even if you sweat a lot, you will feel somehow "dry" and more comfortable over longer period of time.

Wool will absorb moisture in the same way as linen, evaporate is as well, it won't smell bad anytime soon as is antibacterial and odor and dirt resistant. For me it is the most comfortable material over the longer period of time, in trousers at least.

Johnny80

Reaction score
People say, "It keeps you cool when it's hot and warm when it's cool!"
Thats a statement more for silk not wool
But again, merino wool can be a thing on hot days no question. I have 12.8µ wool from colombo and it is fabulous even in summer. Ok, maybe not over 35C but for most of the time it is great
So it depends for the type of wool...clearly not heavy wool. But for very hot summer days , an under 220gr linen is still the way to go.
Remember, merino wool is very odor resistant , one of the best out there. The only down size like other said is more delicate than linen/cotton

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads