• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool Cloth Question

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm nearly certain I already know the answer to this question, but the reason I am asking is because I was told some rather curious information by a man who claims to have been in the cloth and garment business for 10 years. Anyway, I walked into a tailors shop here in the Middle East that was run by a Turkish man. He has various bolts of cloth on display that he uses to make MTM and bespoke suits. Some bolts were a very fine material and others were a more rough wool like tweed. Anyway, I was looking at some of the cloths and asked the owner if his materials were 100% wool. He told me no, that you cannot find 100% wool that is soft and smooth. If it is pure wool it will always be rough like a tweed. I looked at him a bit cock eyed for a moment and asked what his fabrics were made of if not 100% wool. He said that all his fabrics were either a blend of wool and silk or wool and polyester, or some other material.

Ok, so help me out here. Is there some little known esoteric thing about wool material that I am unaware of? Is it true that fine soft material for suits will never be 100% wool? I feel like a fool for asking because I have been a suit wearer for years and I'm almost certain this guy didn't know what he was talking about. But he did say he was in the garment business for 10 years so I had to stop and wonder for a moment. The answer to this question will affect whether I go back to get a suit made by him.

905bro

Reaction score
thealternative to regular wool is italian marino wool which is soft and smooth

905bro

Reaction score
nope no blend but a huge difference, marino wool is soft and works like a thermal insulator. also if you break out or itch from the regular wool than its a great alternative.

typing fro, phne so dont mind typos

905bro

Reaction score
no worries im gonna get some rest, hopfully i cleared.it up for you. your tailor may not have the material because they only come from a specific italian breed sheep

E TF

Reaction score
The Merino sheep is actually from Spain originally, not Italy, and most Merino wool these days comes I believe from flocks in New Zealand and Australia. Some of it gets milled into cloth in Italy.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That man doesn't know what worsted wool is?
confused.gif

Zauberer

Reaction score
Say this: "Then may I see your selection of fabrics which the entire wool-having planet with the exception of your fine, knowledgeable self refers to as 100% worsted wool?" The important thing is whether or not he can make a decent garment. If not, it doesn't matter how he says tomato or....domate.

Because I despise my ex-sister-in-law, I was in one of those comic book karate stores looking for ninja stars for my nephew that he would undoubtedly eventually throw at her cat. The big fat martial arts expert who owned the store picked one up and with 100% instructional seriousness said, "Only by entering the gate of the eye can it reach the brain and kill." I said, "Yeah, I saw that movie too." Reminds me of your Turk tailor, Lord bless him.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
See, thing is that it is very difficult to find people with an eye for detail here. I hate so say it, but it's true. Doesn't matter if it's construction, or tailoring, or fast food delivery, the quality will simply not be as high as it is in the west. Which is one reason why I will soon be relocating back to these United States.

Zauberer

Reaction score
The Turks make excellent goat cheese and yogurt, as you're no doubt aware, but I don't think that requires as much attention to detail as they like to believe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads